Brown Football Hosts Bryant to Open 140th Season
Saturday, September 16, 2017
Bryant enters the game with a record of 1-1 on the season following a 60-12 loss to Maine last week.
"We are playing a very good Brown team, a team that has been one of best in all of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) for 20 years now, coach Phil Estes has done a great job," Bryant head coach James Perry told GoLocalProv.
Brown will be playing their first game of the season after going 4-6 overall last season and 3-4 in the Ivy League.
"There is an advantage to Bryant in that they played two games, they know who they are. They have a better idea, especially after the second game, of what direction to go in to get wins. They are going into the game with a little experience under their belt, we are going into it blind," Brown head coach Phil Estes told GoLocalProv.
Estes added, "we are looking for our team to go out and execute our schemes our tempo offense defense special teams and all facets of the game."
Kick off is set for 12:30 p.m.
Brown vs Bryant
In the all-time series, Brown holds a 2-1 lead.
Last season, the Bears came back from a 21-0 first quarter deficit to beat the Bulldogs 35-27 in Smithfield.
In 2015, Bryant edged Brown 20-16 in Providence.
Brown Offense vs Bryant Defense
The Bears offense will be led by junior quarterback Nick Duncan, who was named quarterback at the beginning of the season.
Duncan saw action against Columbia last season and completed 7 of 16 passes for 62 yards, while rushing event times for 52 yards.
"I think Nick Duncan is a gamer, he has a special talent of making plays with his feet and arms. That's the advantage for him over [backup quarterback] T.J. Linta, he makes defenses have to cover multiple options," said Estes.
The Bears will also look to Livingstone Harriott in all aspects of the offense. Last season, Harriott rushed for 336 yards and two touchdowns in six games last year, threw two passes and caught three passes
Through two games this season, Bryant defense has given up an average of 50 points and 541 total yards per game.
They are led by defensive linemen Dillon Guthro and Kevin Lazo. Linebacker Tomas Costigan leads the Bulldogs with 2.5 sacks on the season.
Bryant Offense vs Brown Defense
Bryant’s offense is led by quarterback Price Wilson, who leads the Northeast Conference with 639 passing yards through the first two games. However, turnovers have plagued Bryant.
Last week against Maine, they turned the ball over eight times.
"Yea, that’s not a good thing. For us, we work very hard to make sure we improve every week. That's not a particularly high bar, but the kids have had a good week of practice and we are ready to do a better job against Brown," Perry said.
Bryant will also look to senior Matt Sewall, of Portsmouth, who ranks second in the conference with 6.5 catches per game and 90 receiving yards per game.
On defense, Brown welcomes back Richard Jarvis and Connor Coughlin.
Jarvis recorded 7.5 sacks and 18.5 tackles for a loss last season, while Coughlin had 53 tackles and five tackles for a loss.
Related Slideshow: RI Teams To Win National Championships
PC Basketball 1960-61 NIT
The Providence College Friars won the National Invitation Tournament(NIT) in 1961, defeating St. Louis 62-59 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
At this time, the NIT was considered to be the National Championship of College Basketball.
The Friars were led by Vinny Ernst and James Hadnot that season.
PC Women's Cross Country
The 1995 Providence Friars won the programs first NCAA title. On the way, PC won their first BIG EAST and ECAC Championships.
Head Coach Ray Treacy was named NCAA Division I Women's National Coach of the Year, BIG EAST Men's and Women's Coach of the Year, Rhode Island Words Unlimited Women's Coach of the Year and NCAA District I Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year.
Brown Women's Crew '99
Brown women's crew won the first NCAA Division I Championship in Brown University History by defeating the University of Virginia by a three-second margin at lake Natoma in California.
Brown also won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the Ivy Championship, setting a new course record in the process.
Photo courtesy of Brownbears.com
Brown Women's Crew 2000
Brown repeated as national Champions in 2000, beating the University of Washington by 3.9 seconds four points.
In addition, Brown's varsity and second varsity won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the IVY league Championship.
Both teams went undefeated on the season.
URI Women's Sailing 2011
The URI Women won the programs first National Championship in small boat sailing in the 79 year history of the program and hoisted the Gerald C. Miller Memorial Trophy at the Sperry Top-Sider/Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Championship.
The Rams won the title as a club team and were one of two club teams competing for the title. The other club team was Western Washington, who finished 17.
Photo courtesy of uri.edu
PC Hockey 2015
The Providence College Friars won the 2015 NCAA Ice Hockey National Championship, defeating Boston University 4-3 at the TD Garden.
The Championship is the first in the program's history and only the third NCAA National Title in Providence College History.
PC goatender Jon Gillies was named Most Outstanding Player.
- Brown Football Players Want to Keep Paterno’s Name on Award
- Brown Football Great Can’t Defend Paterno
- NEW: Brown Football Previews Season–Two Games Under the Lights
- GoLocal’s Cordischi Adds Brown Football Role to Reporting Duties
- Brown Football Opens Camp With High Expectations
- Brown Football Player Matt Shannon Donates Bone Marrow
- Two Brown Football Players Join Basketball Team
- Brown Football Pre-Season Ranking
- Brown Football Takes on Harvard in First-Ever Night Game
- An Historic Night For Brown Football
- Brown Football Gets Ready for Prime Time
- Brown Football Opens Camp With Many Holes To Fill
- Brown Football Schedule Released, Play URI for 100th Time
- Brown Football Holds on to Beat Yale 27-22 at Brown Stadium
- Brown Football Falls 31-13 to Columbia in Season Finale
- Brown Football to Play Dartmouth at Fenway Park
- Brown Football Coach Estes Joins LIVE Monday to Discuss Brown’s Game at Fenway
- Brown Football Falls 21-14 to 1st Place Penn
- Brown Football Falls 31-21 in First Ever Meeting With Stetson
- Brown Football Alum Cruz Signs With the Chicago Bears
- Brown Football Picked to Finish 5th in Ivy League
- Brown Football Set to Host Bryant in Season Opener
- Brown Football Set to Open Season at Bryant
- Brown Football Coach Estes to Throw Out 1st Pitch at Fenway on Sunday When Red Sox Host Yankees
- Bryant Football Looks to Get Over “Hump” in 2016
- Bryant Football Picked as Preseason Favorite in NEC
- Bryant Football Rolls Merrimack 41-20 in Season Opener
- Bryant Football Set to Open Season vs. Merrimack
- Bryant Football Set to Visit Maine