Brown Football Alum Develin Signs 2-Year Extension With Patriots
Friday, June 15, 2018
Develin, who will be 30 next month, was entering the final season of a two-year, $2.45 million deal.
Develin With the Patriots
Develin has been with the Patriots since the 2012 season and was named to his first career Pro Bowl last season.
He is mostly used as an extra blocker, but did haul in six catches for 38 yards.
Prior to coming to the Patriots, Develin went undrafted in 2010, and played one season in the Arena Football League and one season in the United Football League before joining the Cincinnati Bengals practice squad.
Develin at Brown University
Develin played four seasons at Brown University from 2006-2009, but not on the offensive end of the ball.
Develin was a defensive end and made the All-Ivy League defensive team.
Related Slideshow: 5 Reasons Why This Will Be the Patriots Last Trip to the Super Bowl for a Long While
Gisele Caroline Bündchen — According to press reports, Tom Brady's wife Gisele Bündchen tried to convince her husband to retire from football during this past offseason. After watching Gronk’s concussion in the AFC Championship and then Brandin Cook’s head injury in the Super Bowl, the pressure on Brady will only increase.
According to Sports Illustrated, Bündchen did it by trying to get Brady’s college teammate and friend Jay Feely to help her during a vacation this past spring.
Feely, a retired NFL kicker, told Sports Illustrated, “She was trying to get me to convince Tom to stop playing. She was dead serious.”
Feely says that he told Brady to "play as long as you can."
This news comes after Bündchen said in a May interview with CBS that Brady had suffered unreported concussions.
Dante Scarnecchia — The Patriots offensive line coach will be 70 years old on February 14. He retired once and was lured back by Bill Belichick. The two-years he was away, the Patriots offensive line was a mess and Brady took a beating. If he goes, Brady’s thought process on retiring may be impacted.
Emily Kelly — A New York Times opinion piece this past week titled, “I’m the Wife of a Former N.F.L. Player. Football Destroyed His Mind. He chose the sport, but he did not choose brain damage,” is a big impact story.
The piece was written by Emily Kelly. She wrote, “My husband, Rob Kelly, is a retired N.F.L. player. After five seasons as a safety beginning in the late 1990s, four with the New Orleans Saints and one with the New England Patriots, he sustained an injury to a nerve between his neck and shoulder during training camp that ended his career. By the time he retired in 2002 at 28, he had been playing tackle football for about two decades. Rob had no idea, however, that all those years of playing would have such serious consequences.
Kelly’s continued, “He went from being a devoted and loving father and husband to someone who felt like a ghost in our home. For a couple of months one winter he was so depressed and detached, he couldn’t muster up the energy to speak. My questions went unanswered until I simply stopped asking them. The silence was unnerving.”
Ever More Fragile Relationship Between Brady and Media — Call it the “WEEI pissant factor.” Despite Brady appearing on WEEI for years via a paid agreement, a WEEI host decided to call Tom Brady’s daughter an unflattering name. Brady was less than pleased.
For Brady, this year’s media relationship transformed from a decade-and-a-half love affair to a strained one.
Rob Gronkowski may retire. "I don't know how you heard that, but I mean I'm definitely going to look at my future, for sure," Gronkowski said. "I'm going to sit down in the next couple of weeks and see where I'm at."
It is harder to sleep soundly when you don't have your security blanket.
- Patriots Develin 1 of 4 Brown Alums in NFL
- Pats’ Camp: Brown’s Develin steps up his game
- Brown Grad James Develin Suffers Broken Leg Against Panthers
- Brown Grad Develin on Road Back for Patriots Following Broken Leg in 2015
- NEW: Brown Grad Develin Signs 2 Year Deal With Patriots
- What to Watch For: Eagles vs Patriots - Super Bowl 52
- Former Patriots Receiver Randy Moss Elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame
- 5 Reasons Why This Will Be the Patriots Last Trip to the Super Bowl for a Long While
- Patriots Fall to Eagles 41-33 in Super Bowl 52, Can’t Overcome Errors
- Patriots Defensive Coordinator Patricia Named Head Coach of Lions
- Biggs & Gonzalez Sing Patriots Parody Smash Hit “Amen-Dola” On LIVE
- LIVE: Comic Cunningham On Creating Patriots Parody Video “Amen-Dola”
- Patriots to Host Jaguars in AFC Championship Game
- What to Watch For: Jaguars vs Patriots - 2018 AFC Championship
- NEW: Patriots Advance to Super Bowl, Beat Jacksonville 24-20 in AFC Championship
- Patriots to Face Eagles in Super Bowl 52
- Disturbing Number of NE Patriots Claim Brain Injuries, According to Lawsuit
- Reports: Patriots’ Amendola to Dolphins, Says NFL Network’s Hellie
- Patriots Add 6 Players on Final Day of NFL Draft
- Patriots Make Series of Trades, Add 2 Players on 2nd Day of NFL Draft
- Matt Light to be Inducted Into Patriots Hall of Fame
- NEW: Patriots’ Edelman Facing 4-Game Suspension for Performance Enhancing Drugs
- Patriots’ Edelman Apologizes for Using Performance Enhancing Drugs
- UPDATED: Patriots Pick Georgia Offensive Lineman Isaiah Wynn at #23 Overall