video: Brown Edges URI 24-21 to Win Governor’s Cup
Sunday, October 01, 2017
Brown lost the Governor’s Cup last season, but have now won six of the last seven.
The win improves Brown to 2-1 on the season, while URI drops to 1-4.
Brown Rallies in 2nd Half
Trailing 14-3 at the half, the Bears outscored URI 21-0 in the third quarter to take the lead.
Brown running back Darius Daies got the scoring started with a 22-yard touchdown run to cut URI’s 14-3 lead to 14-10 after an extra point from Ben Rosenblatt was good with 11:25 to play in the quarter.
The Bears would take the lead for the first time in the game when quarterback Thomas Linta found Isaac Whitney for an 18 yard touchdown pass to put the bears up 17-14 following an extra point by Rosenblatt.
Brown extended their lead to 10 with 2:57 to go in the third quarter when Daies ran seven yards for his second touchdown of the game to give the Bears a 24-14 lead after the extra point. Daies would finish the game with 95 yards rushing and two touchdowns on 16 carries.
URI would cut Brown’s lead to three, 24-21, with 10:19 left in the fourth quarter on a 25-yard touchdown pass from URI quarterback Tyler Harris to Aaron Parker. This is Parker's seventh straight game with a touchdown catch.
With just over five minutes left, the Rams had a chance to tie the game, but kicker C.J. Carrick missed a 39-yard field goal giving the Bears the ball back.
Brown would hold on for the win.
Brown returns to action on Saturday, October 7 when they visit Stetson at 12:30 p.m.
URI returns to action on Saturday, October 14 when they visit Maine at 3:30 p.m.
Related Slideshow: RI Teams To Win National Championships
PC Basketball 1960-61 NIT
The Providence College Friars won the National Invitation Tournament(NIT) in 1961, defeating St. Louis 62-59 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
At this time, the NIT was considered to be the National Championship of College Basketball.
The Friars were led by Vinny Ernst and James Hadnot that season.
PC Women's Cross Country
The 1995 Providence Friars won the programs first NCAA title. On the way, PC won their first BIG EAST and ECAC Championships.
Head Coach Ray Treacy was named NCAA Division I Women's National Coach of the Year, BIG EAST Men's and Women's Coach of the Year, Rhode Island Words Unlimited Women's Coach of the Year and NCAA District I Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year.
Brown Women's Crew '99
Brown women's crew won the first NCAA Division I Championship in Brown University History by defeating the University of Virginia by a three-second margin at lake Natoma in California.
Brown also won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the Ivy Championship, setting a new course record in the process.
Photo courtesy of Brownbears.com
Brown Women's Crew 2000
Brown repeated as national Champions in 2000, beating the University of Washington by 3.9 seconds four points.
In addition, Brown's varsity and second varsity won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the IVY league Championship.
Both teams went undefeated on the season.
URI Women's Sailing 2011
The URI Women won the programs first National Championship in small boat sailing in the 79 year history of the program and hoisted the Gerald C. Miller Memorial Trophy at the Sperry Top-Sider/Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Championship.
The Rams won the title as a club team and were one of two club teams competing for the title. The other club team was Western Washington, who finished 17.
Photo courtesy of uri.edu
PC Hockey 2015
The Providence College Friars won the 2015 NCAA Ice Hockey National Championship, defeating Boston University 4-3 at the TD Garden.
The Championship is the first in the program's history and only the third NCAA National Title in Providence College History.
PC goatender Jon Gillies was named Most Outstanding Player.
- Brown Football Opens Camp With High Expectations
- GoLocal’s Cordischi Adds Brown Football Role to Reporting Duties
- Brown Football Opens Camp With Many Holes To Fill
- Brown Football Schedule Released, Play URI for 100th Time
- Brown Football Alum Cruz Signs With the Chicago Bears
- NEW: Brown Football Previews Season–Two Games Under the Lights
- Brown Football Players Want to Keep Paterno’s Name on Award
- Brown Football Gets Ready for Prime Time
- Two Brown Football Players Join Basketball Team
- Brown Football Player Matt Shannon Donates Bone Marrow
- Brown Football Great Can’t Defend Paterno
- Brown Football Picked to Finish 5th in Ivy League
- Brown Football Set to Host Bryant in Season Opener
- Brown Football Coach Estes to Throw Out 1st Pitch at Fenway on Sunday When Red Sox Host Yankees
- Brown Football Coach Estes Joins LIVE Monday to Discuss Brown’s Game at Fenway
- Brown Football Hosts Bryant to Open 140th Season
- Brown Football Edges Bryant 28-23 in Season Opener
- Brown Football Visits Harvard to Open Ivy League Play
- Brown Football to Play Dartmouth at Fenway Park
- Brown Football Falls 31-13 to Columbia in Season Finale
- Brown Football Set to Open Season at Bryant
- Brown Football Falls 31-21 in First Ever Meeting With Stetson
- Brown Football Falls 21-14 to 1st Place Penn
- Brown Football Holds on to Beat Yale 27-22 at Brown Stadium
- Brown Football Beat by Harvard 45-28 in Ivy League Opener
- URI Football Falls 27-17 to Maine
- URI Football Looks to Bounce Back vs. Albany
- 2 URI Football Players Arrested, Charged With Assault and Disorderly Conduct
- URI Football Alum Kevin Mustac Saves Child’s Life With Bone Marrow Donation
- URI Football Set for 2016 Season
- URI Football Set to Kick Off 2015 Season vs Syracuse
- URI Football To Stay In CAA
- Almost a “Miracle” for URI Football vs Syracuse
- URI Football Ready to Make Some Noise
- Brown, URI Football Grab the Spotlight
- URI Football Kick Beats #19 William & Mary
- Brown & URI Football Set for 35th Governor’s Cup Game
- URI Football Falls 35-0 to Villanova
- URI Football Set to Host Harvard on Saturday
- URI Football Hosts Stony Brook to Open Conference Play
- URI Football Earns First Ever Win Over Harvard 17-10
- URI Football Looks to Upset #15 New Hampshire on ESPN3
- URI Football Loses 30-27 Triple OT Heartbreaker to Central Michigan
- URI Football Set to Open 2017 Season Against Central Michigan, Play on ESPN3
- URI Football Has Its Worst Loss Ever - Crushed 84-7
- URI Football Snaps 23 Game Road Losing Streak, Beat Elon 44-14
- SPECIAL REPORT: URI Football’s Losing Legacy and the Threat of Concussion Litigation
- Governor’s Cup Game Between Brown & URI Football to be Played at Night
- Brown, URI Football Set for 102nd Governor’s Cup Game - Under the Lights