Almost a “Miracle” for URI Football vs Syracuse
Sunday, September 11, 2011
The final score up was Syracuse 21, Rhode Island 14, and that doesn't begin to tell the tail. Late in the fourth quarter Rhode Island and Syracuse were tied at 14-14, until SU's Ryan Nassib found Mike Acchione in the endzone from 12 yards out for the go-ahead touchdown.
Then , Rhode Island n its next drive could not get the tie, Rhody started on its own 27 and drove for a 1st down on their 45 after a Steve Probst keeper for 12 yards. Travis Hurd rushed for three yards on 1st down, but another rush for no gain by Hurd and an incomplete pass intended for Anthony Baskerville forced a punt.
The Ram's then forced a 3-and-out and got the ball back with 3:16 left in regulation, but the Syracuse team pinned back their ears and Probst was sacked twice and threw an interception on 4th and 24, ending the game.
NOTES FROM URI SPORTS:
* Rhody and Syracuse each recorded 20 first downs on the afternoon. For URI, seven came on the ground and nine via the air.
* The Rams did a great job with time of possession, holding the ball for 32:04, to just 27:56 for the Orange. Rhody controlled the ball for 11:44 in the second quarter alone.
* Syracuse was successful on its first two 4th down conversions. But Dave Zocco stuffed 'Cuse RB Jerome Smith on the URI 14 yard line on their third attempt. Zocco ended the game with eight tackles on the day.
* Doug Johnson had an outstanding debut for URI, making seven total tackles on the day. The Warwick, R.I. native made three tackles for a loss of 15 yards, including two sacks for a 13 yards.
* Devon Dace notched his second career interception in the 1st quarter, picking off SU quarterback at the 12:44 mark on the URI 30 yard line.
Rhode Island opens up CAA Football league play at Massachusetts on Saturday, Sept. 17. Kickoff time at McGuirk Stadium is set for 6:30 p.m. and the game can be seen live on Comcast SportsNet.
PHOTOS Courtesy of URI