slides: 5 Takeaways From the Patriots Loss to Miami
Sunday, January 03, 2016
See the Five Takeaways Slideshow
The Patriots tied the game at 10 within the first couple of minutes of the third quarter on a two yard touchdown run by Steven Jackson.
The Dolphins responded i the fourth quarter when Ryan Tannehill led Miami on a 6 play, 82 yard drive ending in a Jordan Cameron 2 yard touchdown catch.
After that, the Patriots offense was unable to do anything as far as moving the ball the rest of the way.
The Dolphins sealed the game with a field goal with just under 2 minutes to play.
Tom Brady was 12 of 21 for 134 yards and no touchdowns in the game. The running game was led by Steven Jackson who had 14 rushes for 35 yards and a touchdown run.
James White led all receivers with 2 catches for 63 yards.
The Patriots have a bye week next week while the wild card round of the playoffs gets underway. New England will return to action in two weeks in the divisional round of the playoffs at Gillette Stadium.
Story will be updated with post game reaction and final stats.
Related Slideshow: 5 Takeaways From the Patriots Loss to The Dolphins
Steven Jackson took on a much bigger role in his second game as a Patriot and got himself a touchdown in the opening minutes of the third quarter to tie the game at 10.
Jackson finished the game with 14 carries for 35 yards and a touchdown in his second game.
Jackson had just 7 carries in his first game.
Conservative 1st half
Tom Brady only threw five passes in the half of play as the Patriots ran the ball and ran the ball again.
I personally thought they were going to come out throwing the ball in the first half and try to put the game away and then run the ball in the second half.
But even on third and longs, the Patriots were running the ball. The Patriots statistically are one of the worst rushing teams in the league.
Rob Gronkowski was not targeted in the first half and New England at one point went to a running back on 18 straight plays, two of which were passes.
When the Patriots opened things up in the second half, Brady took some big hits as the offensive line struggled.
Could be why New England was going so conservative in the first half.
Devin McCourty returned to the Patriots defensive line up and the defense looked decent for most of the game, holding on until the offense could get something going.
Miami ended up racking up 440 offensive yards and scoring 20 points.
The Patriots defense was without Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower, both of whom are expected to return for the playoffs.
Jabaal Sheard once again played well for the Patriots along with Rob Ninkovich.
Is there anyone happier about the upcoming bye week than the Patriots offensive line?
Brady was hit hard a number of times and sacked once, losing 8 yards in the process.
New England is expected to get Sebastian Vollmer back for the playoffs so that should help a little bit but the O-line still has major questions going into the playoffs.
Tom Brady Injury
Tom Brady was hurt in the second quarter when the Dolphins Ndamukong Suh landed on his ankle while making a tackle.
Brady was examined on the sideline, had his ankle re-taped, and returned to the game on the Patriots next offensive possession.
Brady played the rest of the game and looked fine in the second half when the Patriots started throwing the ball.
A scary incident though.
"I'm pretty sore, but I'll be alright," Brady said after the game.
Brady was 12 fo 21 for 134 yards and no touchdowns in the game.
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Broncos
- Terrell Owens Wants a Try Out With Patriots
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots Loss to Denver
- Patriots Injured Receiving Corps Accounts for 167 Catches, 18 TD’s
- What to Watch For: Eagles vs. Patriots
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots 20-13 Win Over Buffalo
- What to Watch For: Bills vs. Patriots
- Patriots’ Amendola Helps Deliver 1,000 Turkeys to RI Community Food Bank
- 8 Plays That Define the Patriots Season - in Vines
- What to Watch For When the Patriots Face the Giants
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots Win Over the Giants
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots Loss to the Eagles
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Texans
- The Patriots & the AFC Playoff Picture With a Week to go
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots Loss to the Jets
- Patriots Gronkowski Attends WWE Event in Providence
- PHOTOS: Tuukka Rask’s Patriots Themed Winter Classic Mask
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Dolphins
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Jets
- NEW: Patriots Sign Running Back Steven Jackson
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots 27-6 Win Over Houston
- Patriots Clinch 7th Straight AFC East Title
- What to Watch For: Titans vs. Patriots
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots Win Over the Titans