2 URI Football Players Arrested, Charged With Assault and Disorderly Conduct
Tuesday, October 06, 2015
Six fraternity members were injured, three of which needed a transport to South County Hospital for treatment of injuries that included lacerations, broken noses, a fractured jaw and a fractured arm.
“This type of criminal and violent behavior is not tolerated at the University. In addition to the criminal charges, the University is taking strong steps to address this incident. University officials also have been in contact with the students who were injured, making sure they have the appropriate resources and support," said Stephen Baker, director of public safety.
Four other URI players have also been suspended for Saturday's home game against Delaware.
While police were patrolling the area of Fraternity Circle near Weldin Residence Hall early on Sunday, the officers observed a large group of people outside Chi Phi fraternity and several individuals with injuries. The officers stopped a black truck that was leaving the area and questioned the six occupants of the truck. A seventh occupant fled the scene.
Lyons and LeBlanc were arrested.
All seven football players have been issued no trespass orders from Chi Phi and referred to the University's judicial process which could result in a variety of sanctions from a reprimand to suspension from the University.
According to police, the misdemeanor charges could be upgraded to felony charges, depending on the results of the investigation.
LeBlanc and Lyons will be arraigned next week.
URI Police are continuing to investigate and are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident to call Detective Mark Brasil at 401-874-5580.
- Brown, URI Football Grab the Spotlight
- URI Football Ready to Make Some Noise
- Almost a “Miracle” for URI Football vs Syracuse
- URI Football Kick Beats #19 William & Mary
- URI Football To Stay In CAA
- URI Football Looks to Bounce Back vs. Albany
- URI Football Set to Kick Off 2015 Season vs Syracuse
- URI Football Falls 27-17 to Maine
- Allen Iverson’s Cousin, Kuran, to Play For URI Next Season
- NEW: URI Basketball Lands Indiana Transfer Robinson
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- Brown Football Schedule Released, Play URI for 100th Time
- PC, URI Stars Showcased in NBA Summer League
- NEW: Bill Murray’s Son, Luke, Leaves URI Basketball For Xavier
- Juanita Sanchez, URI Students Team up For Biotech Experience
- URI and Coach Dan Hurley Agree to Contract Extension
- NEW: URI Announces Million Dollar Contract for Basketball Coach Hurley
- PawSox Consultants Overestimated URI Ryan Center Attendance by Millions
- URI Basketball Signs Guard McGlynn For 2015-16 Season
- NEW: URI Releases Non-Conference Basketball Schedule, Host PC on Dec. 5
- URI Alum Henderson Named 62nd PGA Golf Professional of the Year
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- Bryant, Brown and URI Hit the Road Looking For Wins
- URI and Brown Set for 100th Meeting on Saturday Night at Brown Stadium
- URI Looking For 1st Win Over Ranked Opponent Since 2011 vs #25 Harvard
- URI is 1 of 14 Organizations to Receive $2.5 Million Grant to Improve Geriatric Care
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- NEW: URI Names Ebrahimpour College of Business Dean
- Brown Wins 5th Straight Governor’s Cup, Beat URI 41-31