Alex and Ani Founder Buys Belcourt Castle
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
"Rafaelian will give new life to the home and provide direction in the upcoming years while overseeing the complete remaking of such an architectural gem Richard Morris Hunt so graciously created for Oliver Hazard Perry Belmont in 1894," a press release said.
The property will undergo restoration, it will be renamed, Belcourtof Newport and "will be re-opened where it will continue showcasing tours, weddings and an array of charity-based social events reflecting Ms. Rafaelian’s vision for the historical mansion."
According to the release:
The third largest and unique among the mansions of Newport, “Belcourt,” a Louis XIII style-hunting lodge, was designed by Richard Morris Hunt, “the Dean of American architects.” Construction cost $3.2 million in 1894, a figure of approximately $80 million in 2011 dollars. Three hundred skilled European craftsmen were employed in Belcourt’s creation between 1891 and 1894. The entire first floor was devoted to a fine carriage collection and a stable with 30 luxurious stalls accommodating prized coaching horses. Currently, the manor is home to an extensive collection of art and antiques while it hosts guided tours, weddings and social events.
- Alex and Ani and Plan International USA Team to Create “Because I Am a Girl”
- Alex and Ani Creates Limited Edition Charms for Newport Festivals
- NEW: Alex and Ani Donates $1M to Rhode Island College
- NEW: Alex and Ani’s Rafaelian RI Small Businessperson of the Year
- Alex and Ani CEO Speaks at Bryant’s World Trade Day Kickoff Event
- NEW: Alex and Ani Releases New Bangle to Benefit Women & Infants
- Alex and Ani Creates HERO Charm Bangle to Benefit Hasbro
- NEW: Alex and Ani Named One of America’s Fastest-Growing Companies
- Alex and Ani Named One of Best Places to Work
- NEW: Alex and Ani Hit Silver Screen
- NEW: Alex and Ani Creates Commemorative Bangles for 9/11
- NEW: Alex and Ani Donates $1 Million to Bryant University
- Charmed by Newport Jewelry Company Alex and Ani
- Cranston jeweler Alex and Ani takes made-in-USA pride to London