Trillo Blasts Rhode Island Over School Rankings
Saturday, May 12, 2018
24/7 Wall St. recently reviewed education data for each state in the 2018 edition of the Quality Counts report, provided by Education Week.
According to 24/7 Wall Street, Rhode Island’s graduation rate is 82%, while public school spending has increased to more than $15,000.00 per person.
“After reviewing the report, it reiterated what I already know. Rhode Island lags behind most other New England states, and the Northeast in general. No too many issues are more important than ensuring Rhode Island’s children receive a first-rate education and that is not happening under Governor Gina Raimondo’s deplorable leadership, or should I say, lack of competent leadership.
I also find it exasperating to learn that 8th-grade NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) proficiency is only at 32% for math and 34.8% for reading. These dramatically low numbers should be a wake-up call to Rhode Island taxpayers that the state’s education system, under Governor Gina Raimondo’s control, is failing our students. Without a good education, young people are left with few options to be successful in their adult life.”
According to 24/7 Wall Street, only 34.1% of Rhode Island adults have earned at least a bachelor’s degree.
Trillo added, “Sadly, the state of Rhode Island also has considerable room for improvement in its kindergarten enrollment rate. 24/7 Wall St. reports that only 74.7% of eligible children are enrolled in kindergarten, one of the lowest such shares in the country and considerably smaller than the national kindergarten enrollment rate of 78.3%.”
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- Trillo Has “Real Problem” with Frias Not Supporting Trump
- Trillo Calls for Boycott of Entertainers Who “Rant” Against President
- Trillo: Trump is “Entirely Correct” on National Anthem and NFL
- NEW: Rep. Trillo Named Honorary Chairman of Trump for President Campaign in RI
- BREAKING NEWS: Trillo Asked Robitaille to Drop Out for Caprio
- Trillo Introduces Wisconsin-Style Bill in RI
- “I Won’t Be Politically Correct,” Said Former State Rep & Trump Campaign Chair Trillo on LIVE
- Trillo Announces For Governor as Independent - Does That Doom RI GOP?
- Trillo Calls for Investigation Into RI’s Illegal Sanctuary State Actions
- Trillo Fires Back at Fung “Minions”
- Gubernatorial Candidate Trillo Says “No Simple 100% Solution” to Protecting Schools
- Trillo Blasts Mayor Elorza for Municipal ID Program
- LIVE: Trillo on Trump’s State of the Union—& Surrogate Mark Burns in RI on Friday
- Trillo and Rickman: Two Different Views of the Starbucks Arrests