The Scoop: Taveras Confirms Gov. Run, GOP Reacts to Block; More
Monday, October 28, 2013
Taveras Confirms Run for Governor
Providence Mayor Angel Taveras formally declared his candidacy for governor of Rhode Island this morning at the Meeting Street School in Providence—becoming the first major Democrat to enter the 2014 race. If elected, Taveras would become Rhode Island’s first Latino governor.
Democratic state Treasurer Gina Raimondo has stated she’s considering running, but has not made an official announcement. A recent Brown University poll showed Raimondo leading Taveras in a potential Democratic gubernatorial primary 42% to 34%.
GoLocal first reported earlier this month that Clay Pell, grandson of six-term Rhode Island senator Claiborne Pell, is also weighing a run for governor.
Bristol businessman Todd Giroux, an Independent candidate for governor in 2010, recently announced that he would seek the Democratic nomination in 2014.
Ken Block, who GoLocal reported this morning will run as a Republican in 2014, is the only official candidate on the GOP side. In 2010, Block ran for governor representing the Moderate Party, the party which he founded.
Cranston Mayor Allan Fung, who announced an exploratory committee for governor last month, is also expected to enter the race.
Taveras, a former lawyer and graduate of Harvard University, has enjoyed impressive favorability rating during his tenure as mayor—including possessing the highest approval rating amongst any public official in the state, according to Brown University’s latest polling.
Despite high favorability ratings, Taveras has courted controversy over issues involving the mass firing of 2,000 teachers in 2011 and the recent closure at the Davey Lopes recreation center in Providence.
Prior to becoming mayor, Taveras served as an Associate Judge on the Providence Housing Court from 2007 to 2010.
See More Scoops Below
If you have a scoop for The Scoop, please email it to [email protected]
- The Scoop: Block Calls Out GOP Leaders, Costa Talks Gun Raffle
- The Scoop - Napolitano: RIGOP Should Have Raffled A Different Gun
- The Scoop: Block Calls Speaker Fox Imperialistic; Fox Responds
- The Scoop: Avedisian Still Considering Running for Lt. Governor
- The Scoop: Block Critiques Raimondo Over Lack of Transparency
- The Scoop: Candidate Levies Corruption Charge Against Taveras
- The Scoop: Block Denied Access to March in Columbus Day Parade
- The Scoop: Chafee’s Push for Green Cars, Big Grants for RI; More
- The Scoop: Giroux to Run for Gov, RI Tea Party Talks Obamacare
- The Scoop: City Employee’s Bid for City Council Violates Charter
- The Scoop: Raimondo Launches Poll, Nunes Angry over E. Coli
- The Scoop: Ethics Commission Lawyer - Fox Investigation 90 Days
- The Scoop: Raimondo Set to Break Quarterly Fundraising Record
- The Scoop: Fmr. Fire Chief Eyeing Solomon’s Council Seat; More
- The Scoop - Does RI GOP Want Ken Block Or Not?
- The Scoop: Taveras Poll Boosted Raimondo Fundraising; More