slides: The Scoop: Fung Blasts Raimondo on Campaign Contribution, Kilmartin Hits Hodgson Over NRA, and More
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
With the General Election now 8 days away, GoLocal is bringing you the daily campaign updates of note -- who's getting new endorsements, bringing in money, or making big, bold announcements, with all eyes on November 4.
In today's Scoop, The Rhode Island GOP criticizes Gina Raimondo on RI Housing, Barack Obama endorses Democratic candidate for Mayor Jorge Elorza, and more.
Related Slideshow: The Scoop-October 27, 2014
GOP Continues to Hammer Raimondo on RI Housing
In a continuation of the RI Housing story, the RI GOP has released another criticism of General Treasurer and gubernatorial candidate Gina Raimondo's role in the agency.
"Leadership calls for decisive actions to address management issues. In sitting on the Board, she has direct responsibility to provide oversight and guidance for this troubled agency. Yet, she has not personally attended a board meeting since 2011," said RIGOP Chairman Mark Smiley.
Smiley continued, "Perhaps one could over look her direct involvement if this issue was an isolated incident, however, the issues are systematic. The Rhode Island Housing Board has been plagued by mismanagement and ethical concerns. We can't have Rhode Island's Chief Financial Officer sending designees to do her work."
Smiley said, "It should surprise no one that Treasurer Raimondo has not physically been to a Rhode Island Housing board meeting since 2011. Furthermore, she has shown poor judgment in her rehiring of First Southwest, the same firm that provided financial advice for 38 Studios who we are suing for fraud and misrepresentation, to provide further financial advice to Rhode Island."
Fung Campaign Calls on Raimondo to Return Campaign Contribution from DeStefano
Allan Fung's Campaign for Governor has called on opponent Gina Raimondo to return a July 29, 2014 campaign contribution of $250 from Carla DeStefano.
DeStefano is the spouse of Richard Godfrey, who is the Executive Director of Rhode Island Housing.
“Treasurer Raimondo has been absent while scandal after scandal involving RI Housing and its Director have come to light. However, the Director remains securely in his position earning more than $180,000.00 per year,” said campaign spokesperson, Kristen J. Sabella. “The RI Housing board even voted to protect Mr. Godfrey from any liability arising from the alleged wrongful termination of his deputy who exposed mismanagement of funds. It is questionable for a close family member of Mr. Godfrey to be contributing to the political campaign of a board member who is responsible for overseeing his position.”
Obama Endorses Elorza
President Barack Obama has endorsed Democratic Jorge Elorza for Mayor.
“Jorge Elorza’s passion for helping struggling communities lead him back home to Rhode Island, where he provided free counseling to families in danger of losing their homes, while working for Rhode Island Legal Services,” President Obama said. “Jorge knows that, in a democracy, we are all in this together. He will bring honest leadership to Providence and fight to grow the local economy, improve public safety, expand affordable education, and create a transparent and friendly government and business climate to spur innovation and entrepreneurship.”
RenewRI Files Complaint Against Citizens for Responsible Government
RenewRI has filed a complaint against Citizens for Responsible Government at the RI Board of Elections.
The complaint lists violations of Rhode Island election laws for two billboards, two internet web pages, and an Internet video published by Citizens for Responsible Government (CFRG) and their twenty-one coalition members who oppose a constitutional convention.
“These are reasonable laws, intended to improve transparency in election campaigns,” said H. Philip West Jr., former executive director of Common Cause and a co-chair of RenewRI. “Sadly, the coalition opposing a constitutional convention has ignored and broken the law. It’s particularly striking that the New England Laborers Management Trust, where Senate Majority Leader Dominick Ruggerio is the administrator, has given $10,000 toward these ads, but no one could tell that from the billboards or Internet ads.”
Kilmartin Asks Hodgson to Release Answers to NRA Survey
Attorney General Peter Kilmartin has asked opponent Dawson Hodgson to release his answers to the NRA survey.
“This is another troubling example of Dawson Hodgson’s belief that he’s immune to the standards that Rhode Islanders expect—and deserve—from their elected leaders,” said Matt Lenz, Campaign Manager for Peter Kilmartin. “From improper filings with the State Ethics Commission to lying about filling out questionnaires for right-wing groups, it’s clear that Dawson Hodgson lacks the basic sense of accountability and responsibility needed to be our Attorney General.”
GOP Ridicules McKee Attack Ad
The Rhode Island Republican Party has ridiculed Dan McKee's new ad attacking opponent Catherine Taylor.
"To paint Catherine as a Chafee pawn is patently ridiculous," said Mark Smiley, RIGOP chairman. "Governor Chafee made it crystal clear in an official statement on September 9th that he is supporting all the Democrats for statewide office, as they are the candidates who will advance his priorities. Last time I checked, Mayor McKee was still a Democrat. In addition, Mayor McKee hired Michael Trainor, the architect of Chafee's 2010 victory and the chief defender of the governor's policies, as his campaign manager. So who exactly is the Chafee pawn here?"
- The Scoop: RI GOP Blasts Raimondo/Reed Commercial, Lynch Called for Pierson Resignation, and More
- The Scoop: Fung’s Plan to Reform Taxes, Gorbea Adds to Campaign Team, and More
- The Scoop: RenewRI Critical of GA’s Handling of ConCon, Fung’s Latest Endorsement, and More
- The Scoop: Cianci, Elorza Spar Over Public Safety, GOP Ups the Heat on Raimondo/Reed Ad, and More
- The Scoop: McKee Unveils Business Initiatives, Cianci to Announce Waterfront Plan, and More
- The Scoop: Kilmartin Hits Back at Hodgson, Harrop Urges Right-To-Work Municipal Ordinance, and More
- The Scoop: Taylor Announces New Team Members, New Lending Rules Applauded, and More
- The Scoop: Block Endorses Fung; Elorza, Almonte, Magaziner Pick up Endorsements, and More
- The Scoop: GOP Candidate Calls for Independent Pollster and More
- The Scoop: Zurier Challenges Caucus, Harrop’s Response to Poll, and More
- The Scoop: Cianci, Elorza Endorsement Duel, URI Engineering Bond Kick Off, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Confirms Christie RI Visit, Almonte Blasts Magaziner on Disclosure, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Hits Back at Negative Ad, Dems Blast Fung-Christie Connections, and More
- The Scoop: Magaziner Calls Almonte a Liar, Cianci Blasts Harrop’s Elorza Donation, and More
- The Scoop: RI Dems Blasts Fung on Flip-Flop, New Magaziner Ad, and More
- The Scoop: Michelle Obama’s Raimondo Video Message, Gorbea’s New Ad, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Blasts Raimondo on RI Housing, Taylor Calls McKee on Flip-Flop, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Releases New Television Ad, Smith Blasts Paiva-Weed, and More
- The Scoop: Legislative Scorecard Released, Darrell West on Hardball, and More
- The Scoop: Brown’s Quinn to Head Watson Institute Communications, Fung on Sales Tax, and More
- The Scoop: Elorza Unveils Ethics Agenda, Latest Endorsements Announced, and More
- The Scoop: RI Democratic Governors Association Blasts Fung, Christie, and More
- The Scoop: RIC to Host Politics and Social Media Panel, Harrop Questions Cianci’s Health, and More
- The Scoop: Magaziner and Almonte Endorsement Duel, Uber Offering Election Day Rides, and More
- The Scoop: Elorza Requests Investigation Into Possible Ballot Tampering, Fung Tours Brutopia