The Scoop: Block Calls Speaker Fox Imperialistic; Fox Responds
Thursday, October 17, 2013
Moderate Party candidate for governor Ken Block is accusing House Speaker Gordon Fox of being an imperial speaker who does not have his constituents’ best interests in mind.
“The Speaker of the House exerts almost complete control over the legislative process in the RI General Assembly,” Block told GoLocal. “No bill passes that the Speaker does not want to pass.”
Specifically, Block references Fox’s decision to kill the Master Lever bill, which looked to repeal a 1939 Rhode Island law that created a straight party option at the polls.
“Despite the support of a majority of 42 state Representatives, thousands of emails from concerned RI voters and unanimous testimony of more than 100 people who came to the State House in person to testify that the Master Lever had to go, the Speaker personally killed the bill in the most unaccountable way possible—he did not allow the House Judiciary Committee to vote on the bill,” Block told GoLocal.
According to Block, Speaker Fox’s approach puts him at odds with the will of the people.
“When the Speaker defies the wishes of both the people who he is elected to represent and his legislative members who have clearly indicated their position on this issue, he is not working in the best interest of Rhode Island citizens,” Block told GoLocal.
“Once again, gubernatorial candidate Ken Block is issuing self-serving statements for his own political gain," said Larry Berman, spokesman for Speaker Fox. "Speaker Fox has stated on numerous occasions that he believes the master lever is a legitimate option that many voters choose to utilize.”
Master Lever Debate
In April, Block released data showing that killing the Master Lever legislation helped Speaker Fox avoid defeat in November. According to Block, the final results of the District 4 State Representative race between Speaker Fox and challenger Mark Binder showed that Master Lever votes likely made the difference in helping the Speaker keep his seat.
See More Scoops Below
If you have a scoop for The Scoop, please email it to [email protected]
- The Scoop - 8 Ways the Gov’t Shutdown Will Impact Rhode Island
- The Scoop - Rep. Shekarchi Not Ruling Out Run for Lt. Governor
- The Scoop - Does RI GOP Want Ken Block Or Not?
- The Scoop - Sionni to Protest Taveras’ Fundraiser
- The Scoop - Fmr. State Rep is Representing Cheaters Strip Club
- The Scoop: Block Denied Access to March in Columbus Day Parade
- The Scoop - Fung: Here’s How to Make RI More Competitive
- The Scoop: Ethics Commission Lawyer - Fox Investigation 90 Days
- The Scoop - Ken Block Offers Alternatives to Sales Tax Elimination
- The Scoop: Fmr. Fire Chief Eyeing Solomon’s Council Seat; More
- The Scoop - Napolitano: RIGOP Should Have Raffled A Different Gun
- The Scoop: Fung Emboldened by Position in Brown Poll
- The Scoop - No More Sales Tax? - RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop: Giroux to Run for Gov, RI Tea Party Talks Obamacare
- The Scoop - RI Will No Longer Do Business with Iran
- The Scoop: Harrop Blasts RI GOP Over Failure to Attract Hispanics