RI Progressive Democrats Call for Mattiello’s Resignation
Monday, July 03, 2017
The Progressive Democrats have been consistent critics of Mattiello’s policies, but Friday’s State House chaos seems to have triggered the Progressive’s unusual action. The announcement was first reported by RI Future.
“Speaker of the House Nicholas Mattiello in his latest example of conservative gamesmanship, putting the House in recess immediately after hearing that his Senate colleagues might actually put their two cents into the budget. Mattiello’s childish, thuggish action mimics Trump and is an embarrassment to Democrats and the state of Rhode Island,” said the group in a statement.
Larry Berman, spokesperson for the Speaker refused comment and direct questions to Democratic Party senior advisor Bill Lynch.
The Progressives went on to say, “This latest failure of our government to govern--a direct consequence of Mattiello’s childish ‘I want it all’ attitude--is actually a tremendous loss for everyone." It is an outrage that the Speaker is playing games when there is a state to be run. The Senate and the House budgets agree on most everything, including fuzzy math, cruel and pointless Medicaid cuts, DMV closings, and other unpopular measures.”
State House in Chaos
“We know Mattiello and we know that he will always put his own oversized ego ahead of the needs of the people. Unsurprisingly, he also put his own needs ahead of even those legislators who voted for and supported him the entire session. The real tragedy here is the stagnation of progressive legislation in this fiasco. At the start of this year’s session, state representatives—intimidated by the threat that Mattiello would block their legislation as punishment—voted for Mattiello for Speaker in the hopes that he would allow them to pass one or two bills each. Mattiello’s hypocrisy is laughable,” said the statement
“We call upon the House to choose a new Speaker when they meet later this summer to finish their work, so that the budget negotiations can be handled by someone whose priority is to do that work, rather than to play power games. After decades of crookedness, unscrupulous double-dealing, and outright depravity in state government, the citizens of Rhode Island expect so little that this current failure to govern seems almost like a hiccup rather than as the easily preventable disaster that it truly is. As always, we wish for so much more for ourselves and our state, and we hope that our fellow citizens will join us in demanding that the Speaker of the House pay a price for his inability to put the interests of the people of RI ahead of his own ego,” said the statement.
EDITOR'S NOTE: The story was updated to reflect Berman refused comment and directed inquiries to Lynch.
- NEW: Board of Election Finds 208 Misplaced Ballots in Mattiello and Frias Race
- Moore: Mattiello’s Curious Case of Joe Shekarchi
- 1-on-1 With Mattiello on 2017: Car Tax, Marijuana, 38 Studios, and More
- Battle Looming Between Raimondo, Mattiello on RI Car Tax Repeal
- RI GOP Calls for Investigation Into Campaign Violations from Mattiello’s PAC
- Mattiello and Shekarchi to Lead Rhode Island House
- NEW: Mattiello Tops Frias in House District 15, Following Mail Ballot Count
- VIDEO: Mattiello Declares Victory
- GOP’s Steve Frias Not Ready to Concede to Mattiello
- NEW: Mattiello Declares Victory in Cranston
- NEW: Frias Calls for Investigation Into Mattiello’s Mail Ballot Votes
- Raimondo, Chafee and Mattiello All on GoLocal LIVE - See the Schedule
- Mattiello Calls Raimondo “Tone Deaf” on Public’s Support for Elimination the Car Tax
- Mattiello’s Car Tax Bill & Ban on Conversion Therapy: This Week at the State House
- UPDATED: Mattiello Proposes Major Changes to Car Tax Structure
- GOP Charges Mattiello Upping His Own Budget 17%, Speaker Says Money is Being Carried Forward
- Save the Bay Criticizes Raimondo and Mattiello for Budget Cuts to Environment
- Mattiello: House Finance Committee to Review New PawSox Stadium Proposal in Fall
- Mattiello on LIVE: Marijuana Dead, Car Tax Repeal Extended to 6 Years
- Moore: Revenue Shortfall Benefits Speaker Mattiello
- War of the Roses Breaks Out Between Mattiello and Raimondo
- Moore: Raimondo, Mattiello Squabble Over Budget Giveaways
- ABC6’s “In The Arena” - One-on-One with Speaker Mattiello
- RI’s Revenues Collapse: Raimondo Blames Trump, Mattiello Blames Raimondo: UPDATED
- Chaos at the State House - Speaker Mattiello “Takes His Ball” and Goes Home for the Holiday
- Travis Rowley: Progressives Offer No Progress
- Travis Rowley: Progressives: Liars By Religion and Trade
- Hinckley: Why Progressives Hate Entrepreneurs + Business Owners
- Top Nat’l & Regional Progressives and Conservatives Debate at URI
- Travis Rowley: Why are Progressives so Ridiculous?
- Don Roach: If Progressives Win, We Lose
- NEW: ‘Super Tuesday’ for RI Progressives Tomorrow
- Rowley: Progressives and the Wild, Wild West
- Travis Rowley: Hendricken, Progressives, and Homosexuality
- Top Progressives and Conservatives Debate the RI Economy
- Moore: RI Progressives “Major in the Minors”
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stewart: Local Progressives Aiming Gun at Own Foot, Will They Pull Trigger?
- Could RI Progressives & Trump Team Up to Cleanup Lead in Providence Water?
- Riley: Shouldn’t Progressives Care About Intergenerational Equity in RI?
- RI Progressives Call Out Whitehouse’s “Hypocrisy” on Vote for Trump CIA Pick
- Top RI Progressives Blast Raimondo for Choice of DNC Chair and Corporate Subsidies
- 2 RI Progressives Take on National Democratic Superdelegate Structure
- Moore: Progressives Are Being Disingenuous
- Moore: Will Mattiello Appease Progressives?
- House Approves Controversial RI Budget Despite Progressives, Enviro, and Taxpayer Group Opposition