RI Favorites - Chafee’s Tax Breaks on Cars and Home
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
his car registrations—published on the eve of the election—was an instant hit with readers. It was shared on Facebook 360 times in just four hours. Based on the average number of Facebook friends a person has, it yielded 120,000 impressions in short order.
Stories about wealthy politicians seeking out tax breaks aren’t necessarily new—but Chafee ran on a platform of being a different kind of politician, one who set a higher bar for himself than others seeking office. He also ran as the truth-teller on taxes, putting Rhode Islanders on notice that he planned to raise taxes and calling on all taxpayers to share the burden. All this made a story about his efforts to rack up tax breaks that much more interesting and relevant to Rhode Islanders as they headed to the polls the next day.
- Chafee Benefits from Tax Breaks on RI Properties
- Chafee Guilty of ‘Cronyism’?
- Chafee Hitting Hot Button Issues
- Chafee’s Properties: View the Documents
- Chafee: More Unpaid Taxes?
- Chafees Own as Much as $100K in BP Stock