RI 2014 Governor’s Race Weekly Scorecard
Monday, January 27, 2014
Each week GoLocal's reporters, editors and MINDSETTERS™ review and grade the candidates, policy statements, their media, and the campaign activities for each of the five major likely candidates for Governor of Rhode Island: Gina Raimondo (D), Angel Taveras (D), Allan Fung (R), Ken Block (R) and the all but announced Clay Pell (D).
Related Slideshow: The Pell Family Legacy
In 1960, an unknown political force swept Rhode Island and became one of the most unlikely United States Senators in America.
Claiborne Pell beat two former RI Governors and held the Senate seat until 1997. Now, his grandson who has ties to the White House and a superstar wife, is gearing up for a run for Governor of Rhode Island. Take a look at the Pell family legacy.
Claiborne Pell was the son of the United States Ambassador to Portugal and later Hungary.
Pell was considered a long shot when he ran for the United States Senate in 1960, but he out-worked the Democratic machine and defeated former Governor Dennis J. Roberts and former Governor and U.S. Senator J. Howard McGrath in the Democratic primary. It was one of the biggest upsets in RI political history.
Pell's legacy was two fold: he was one of the most unque members of the United States Senate; and he built an impressive track record of legislative successes.
He was the author of the legislative effort that created the Pell Grants, he created the National Endowment for the Arts, and he served as Chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.
If Clay Pell decides to run for Governor of Rhode Island, it would be hard to imagine that he would not receive strong support from United States Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI).
Whitehouse has enjoyed unyielding support from the Pell family and the matriarch Nuala Pell.
Whitehouse's early support would help push Pell into a very formidable position.
A Clay Pell candidacy would not only get a boost from his family's reputation, but his own resume would make him credible out of the box.
In April of 2013, President Barack Obama appointed Pell to serve as Deputy Assistant Secretary for International and Foreign Language Education.
This Presidential appointment comes after Pell served as Director for Strategic Planning on the National Security Staff at the White House, "where he helped develop and advance a number of the President’s key national security and global competitiveness priorities across the globe."
Pell married Olympic two-time Olympic medalist, Michelle Kwan in January of 2013 in Newport.
Kwan brings an impressive resume of her own beyond being five-time World Champion and nine-time US skating Champ.
- Don Roach: Fung Gains Cranston GOP Endorsement as Block Falters
- NEW: North Providence GOP Chair Leaves Fung Camp for Block
- The Scoop - Fung: Here’s How to Make RI More Competitive
- Russell Moore: Raimondo vs. Taveras vs. Pell?
- Fung Death Incident Not Alone in Politics
- NEW: Top Fung Supporter Quits and Joins Block
- The Scoop: Fung Emboldened by Position in Brown Poll
- The Scoop: Clay Pell’s Cousin Donated $2,250 to Raimondo; More
- GOP Governor Nominee: Block or Fung
- RI State Report: Fung the Democrat, Cianci Advises GOP + More
- The Scoop: Laffey Says Fung Wanted to Run as a Democrat
- NEW: Former Town GOP Chair Endorses Block over Fung’s Dem Support
- RI State Report: Fung’s Governor Moves + 38 Studios Hearings
- The Scoop: Loughlin Slams Fung Campaign Manager
- NEW: Fung Announces Endorsement From 24 City, Town GOP Chairs
- Republican Fung Gave Thousands to RI Democratic Candidates
- Top Cranston Police Gave Thousands to Fung
- 10 Questions Fung Has to Answer When Running for Gov of RI
- NEW: Fung Responds to Supporter’s Racial Tweets about Obama
- Russell Moore: Christie, Taveras and Fung—Politicians Gone Wild
- Your Opinion: Fung’s Coming Forward On Accidental Death Now?
- Arthur Schaper: Fung: Full Disclosure on Funding and Failures
- NEW: Fung Volunteer Tweets Racial Comments About Obama
- Russell Moore: Fung’s Fight
- Clay Pell: 14 To Watch in Rhode Island in 2014
- Does Carcieri’s 38 Studios Legacy Hurt Fung?
- NEW: Fung’s Report from 1989 Traffic Death - Press Article
- State Report: Fung’s New Hire, Drug Reform + Fmr. AG Passes Away
- EXCLUSIVE: Clay Pell Looks To Run For Governor in 2014