PowerPlayer: State Rep. Doreen Costa
Monday, December 03, 2012
This week’s PowerPlayer is Republican State Rep. Doreen Costa. Rep. Costa was kind enough to chat with GoLocalProv about the status of the State GOP and her goals for 2013
1) Republicans had a tough time in the 2012 elections. What does the party need to do to appeal to more Rhode Islanders?
Republicans had a difficult time this year seeing it was a year that we elected a president and as well all know Rhode Island is a very heavy Democratic state. We lost MANY good Senators and Reps in the past election. What the party needs to do to appeal to more Rhode Islanders is keep drilling that the Democrats got us in this mess. They have controlled the House and the Senate and pull all the string.
2) What are the three biggest issues the General Assembly needs to address in 2013?
I am researching legislation right now on the fire code laws in Rhode Island. The laws are too severe and are stopping many small business owners from expanding or opening. I also plan on working with the Pet Grooming industry to see what we can do to overturn that ridiculous tax. Many have reached out to me for help and I will be calling a meeting with them soon.
3) Take us Through a Day in Your Life.
Day starts around 5am 7 days a week. Make coffee.. check all my emails and get back to all my voters that have emailed me with questions. I then leave for work around 7:30 am to go to work. After work I am usually at community events, Town Council meetings, planning meetings, school events etc. I try to get to as many events as possible in the community.
4) What is the first piece of legislation you plan to introduce when the session begins?
The first piece of legislation I will submit will depend on what I find in researching the fire codes. It's a piece of legislation and I am not finished reading and researching.
5) Tell us Something Nobody Knows About You.
I am a HUGE fan of country music and Kenny Chesney. I try to see him every year when he comes to Gillette. I missed the show last year due to the RNC in Florida.
Role Model: My Aunt Louise.. she passed away several years. She worked til the day she passed. Had an incredible work ethic and was one of the best bakers ever. She passed all her recipes over to me and I continue to bake every holiday with her cook books and recipes.
Favorite Restaurant: Love going to Sonoma Pub here in North Kingstown. It's a gathering place almost like Cheers where everyone knows everyone. A great place for conversation and they have the best French Onion Soup!
Best Beach: I don't go to the beach much seeing I hate the summer, the heat and the sun. But when we do venture out I like taking a quiet walk here at our town beach right here in North Kingstown.
Best Book You’ve Read in the Last Year: When I had surgery in August a friend came over with Killing Lincoln by Bill O Reilly. The book was amazing and I could not put it down. One of the best books I have ever read.
Advice for the next Doreen Costa: Always go with your heart.. make sure you have thick skin because no matter what you do you are never going to please everyone.
- PowerPlayer: Congressional Candidate David Vogel
- PowerPlayer: Leadership RI Executive Director Mike Ritz
- PowerPlayer: Sandy Riojas
- PowerPlayer: Democratic Congressional Candidate Anthony Gemma
- PowerPlayer: Netroots Nation Organizer Mary Rickles
- PowerPlayer: State Rep. Candidate Mark Binder
- PowerPlayer: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidate Ernie Almonte
- PowerPlayer: New Urban Arts Executive Director Jason Yoon
- PowerPlayer: State Rep. Teresa Tanzi
- PowerPlayer: GOP Activist Michael Napolitano
- PowerPlayer: Pawtucket School Committee Candidate Sandra Cano
- PowerPlayer: Anthony DeRose, Chairman of the Democratic LGBTQ Caucus
- PowerPlayer: GoGo Cast CEO David Paolo
- PowerPlayer: Pawtucket’s Herb Weiss
- PowerPlayer: Arts Advocate Lisa Carnevale
- PowerPlayer: Homelessness Advocate John Joyce
- PowerPlayer: Providence Councilman John Igliozzi
- PowerPlayer: Betaspring’s Allan Tear
- PowerPlayer: Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena
- PowerPlayer: Providence’s Deborah Obalil
- PowerPlayer: Congressional Candidate Abel Collins
- PowerPlayer: Labor Leader Maureen Martin
- PowerPlayer: RI ACLU Director Steve Brown