NEW: Patrick Kennedy Opposed to Legalization of Marijuana
Sunday, January 06, 2013
Kennedy, who left Congress in 2010, has joined with conservatives in the organization called Project SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana).
Kennedy's Battles with Drugs and Mental Health
During his college years, his tenure in the Rhode Island General Assembly and as a member of Congress, Kennedy battled both mental health issues and drug issues. He has been a national voice in funding and expanding mental health treatment.
Relative to Project SAM, Kennedy told Reuters, "Yes, the drug war has been a failure, but let's look at the science, and let's look at what works. And let's not just throw out the baby with the bathwater."
Other members opposing the legalization of marijuana include: Conservative commentator David Frum, who once served as a speech writer for former President George W. Bush.
- NEW: Marijuana Decriminalization Bill before Senate Committee Today
- Will Rhode Island Legalize Marijuana?
- Marijuana Less Damaging to Lungs Than Tobacco
- NEW: Medical Marijuana ‘Consultancy’ Shut Down By Dept. of Health
- BREAKING: Chafee Gives Thumbs Down On Medical Marijuana
- NEW: RI Doc Suspended for Marijuana Abuses, Another Terminated for Facebook Misuse
- ACLU Defends Longtime Medical Marijuana Users Against State
- NEW: Top 10 National Marijuana Stories—Rhode Island’s Got One
- Medical Marijuana Vote Set for Today
- Poll Shows Half of Americans Support Legalizing Marijuana
- NEW: Brown, URI Named Top 10 Colleges for Marijuana Activism
- RI Hospital: New Treatments for Marijuana Abuse in Parolees
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT May 26, 2011 Part 6 Marijuana Decriminalization
- NEW: Legalizing Marijuana Won’t Hurt Kids, Says RI Hospital Study
- NEW: Lawmakers to Take Up Medical Marijuana Bill Next Week
- State Budget Paves Way For Medical Marijuana Dispensaries