video: NEW: Senator Miller Issues Apology for State House Altercation
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
See Video BELOW
Statement from Miller
Miller released the following statement today:
"Last Tuesday a vast group of Rhode Islanders gathered peacefully in the State House rotunda to voice their concerns about gun violence in our state and in our country. They also gathered to support sensible gun legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons, ban the sale of high capacity magazines, ban weapons on school grounds and deny firearm access to individuals who have been convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors.
At the end of a press conference in which I participated, an individual representing a website notorious for conspiracy theories started berating members of the coalition and intimidating elderly veterans, members of the clergy and victims of violence.
It quickly became a highly charged atmosphere, which required the presence of the Capitol Police. The individual in question is not new to the State House and is known for his aggressive and intimidating manner. He also was interrupting legitimate members of the media who were attempting to conduct interviews.
After watching him antagonize an elderly veteran he swung his camera my way, which produced a very human and guttural reaction. I respect both the Second Amendment and the First Amendment. It is important to note that the individual in question was physically removed from a committee room by the Capitol Police later that evening.
Regardless of the emotions and atmosphere of the moment, it does not justify the language I used that day. Out of respect for the decorum of the State House and the constituents I represent, I offer my apologies."
- RI State Report: Guns, Early Bird Liquor + Chafee’s Image Problem
- PowerPlayer: Josh Miller
- RI State Report: Strip Clubs, Guns + Drugs
- Arthur C. Schaper: 2013 So Far–38 Studios, Babysitters, and Guns
- Richard August: Kilmartin Speaks On Guns
- Arthur Schaper: Guns, Prizes, and the Dems’ Wedge Issues
- State Report: $61M in Earmarks for Roads + Taxes on Guns and Ammo
- Carol Anne Costa: Money, Guns + Lawmakers
- Timothy Jones: RI Should Focus on Fixing Economy, Not Banning Guns
- Fung and Block: Do Either Represent GOP on Guns?
- Young Guns Lift Brown Over Dartmouth
- MA Firearm Instructors: Protect Schools With Guns, Legalize Assault Rifles
- NEW: Mayor Taveras Joins National Coalition Against Illegal Guns