Ruggerio, Goodwin, Lombardi Skip Elorza’s State of City Over Teacher Picket
Wednesday, February 07, 2018
Hundreds of teachers packed Providence City Hall ahead of the address -- and Lombardi, who formerly served as City Council President and Interim Mayor, showed up to speak with teachers, and then left.
"I'm not staying. I'm not crossing that line," Lombardi told GoLocal.
PTU President Maribeth Calabro told the crowd assembled that Ruggerio and Goodwin, who like Lombardi all represent parts of Providence, would not be in attendance for Elorza's address.
"They both sent me messages," Calabro told GoLocal.
Calabro on Record
Calabro continued, “Providence teacher morale is the lowest it’s been in years, but we have remained focused on providing the best education possible for students. We’re working in some of the most deplorable classroom conditions throughout the state. Despite working in these extremely difficult and sometimes unsafe conditions, we are still some of the lowest paid teachers in the state due to several pay freezes in previous contracts. This lack of respect for the teachers and support professionals who educate Providence’s children is unprofessional and unacceptable. Mayor Elorza needs to get his priorities straight.”
Teachers repeatedly shouted down Elorza and forced him to restart his speech.
- Riley: Mayor Elorza Laughs at Municipal Black Hole
- Only 16% of Top Providence Officials Are Minorities Under Elorza - Trump’s Cabinet is More Diverse
- NEW: Elorza Refuses to Conduct Full Traffic, Economic Impact Studies for New Providence Bike Lanes
- “I’m Done with Elorza,” Says Providence Councilwoman Harris Following Housing Announcement
- Riley: Hey Hartford, Why Not Just Laugh at Bankruptcy, Like Elorza
- Elorza Names Malone Chief Operating Officer for Providence, Replaces “Resigned” Muksian
- Elorza Names Buco Acting Director of Public Property
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kenney: Elorza & Pare - Make ‘em an Offer They Can’t Refuse
- Riley: Mayor Elorza Lacks Progress
- Political Setback: Elorza’s Veto of ‘No Smoking’ Ordinance Overridden by Council
- Riley: What Elorza Needs to Tell Us in 2018
- Trillo Blasts Mayor Elorza for Municipal ID Program
- VIDEO: Elorza Announces 2 Arrests Related to Recent Providence Shootings, Third Suspect at Large
- Pichardo Blasts Elorza for “Bending to the Pressure of Self-Serving Interest”
- EDITORIAL: Surplus in Providence? Only in Elorza’s World
- LIVE: South Providence’s Keys Blasts Elorza for Outside Housing Consultant
- Elorza Calls on Pichardo to Resign as Chair of Providence Licensing Board After Latest Shooting
- Providence Teachers Union to Picket Elorza’s State of the City Address
- Riley: Elorza’s Delusion
- Dennis Calls Elorza “Missing” From Providence on GoLocal LIVE
- Rep. Lombardi Says Elorza Needs to Communicate With Public Officials Better
- Whitcomb: On to Infrastructure; Get Married, Mayor Elorza; Defending Ukraine
- Insider Deal: $70K Owed to Providence Forgiven By Elorza, Tied to Struggling Skyline at Waterplace