NEW: NEA of Rhode Island Endorses Clay Pell for Governor
Thursday, March 20, 2014
“Education is the fundamental building block of our society: an engaged citizenry, a workforce prepared to compete in the global economy, and Rhode Islanders with the critical thinking skills and creative energy necessary to meet the challenges of the future all depend upon a quality public education system,” said Pell. “That’s why teachers, as leaders and mentors in our classrooms, are critical to our collective success. I’m deeply honored to have earned their support, and look forward to engaging with young people, educators, parents, administrators, and community stakeholders to develop an educational system that meets our highest aspirations.”
NEARI, established in 1845, is a labor and professional organization representing more than 11,000 members from across Rhode Island engaged in teaching and a host of other education-related areas.
“This race for governor is critical to the state of Rhode Island and public education. We need a candidate who will listen to educators, stop the testing craze and make sure that every Rhode Island student has the opportunity for a great public school education,” said Lawrence E. Purtill, NEARI president. “Clay will bring educators, parents and students together to continue to grow the work done in schools across the state every day. He understands that middle class working families support the economy, and public education and job training is how we lower the unemployment rate and encourage growth.”
Related Slideshow: 10 Questions Pell Has to Answer When Running for Gov of RI
10. Pell's Base?
Where is Pell’s voter base going to come from?
Seriously – Another No Private Sector Experience Governor?
8. Decision making
Has he ever had to make an executive decision?
7. Ordinary RIers
Can Pell connect to Rhode Islanders?
Progressives and Unions are in Love with Pell, is that good for RI?
5. Kwan Factor
Is he more than Michelle Kwan’s husband?
4. Claiborne Factor
Is he more than Claiborne Pell’s Grandson?
3. GOP Factor
Can Pell beat a Republican?
2. Experience, any?
Does Pell have any experience?
1. Tough Enough?
Is Pell tough enough?
- Lincoln School 6th Grader Wins RI Independent School Spelling Bee
- Pell Calls on Mediation Parties to Set Deadline in RI Pension Suit
- Long Absent Warm Spell To Return
- New Theater Group Takes on Godspell the Musical
- Schaper: Fung, Block, Gina, Pell, Angel of Debt
- Michelle Kwan, Pell’s Star Spouse, May Have Only Voted Once (Ever)
- NEW: Pell Makes Rhode Island Gubernatorial Run Official
- Pell Campaign Issues Statement on Car Missing Episode
- NEW: Capellan Pulls Out of Providence Mayoral Race
- Pell Grant Cuts: RI Students at Risk
- Steiny: Expeditionary Learning: Journeying Through Compelling Content
- 10 Questions Pell Has to Answer When Running for Gov of RI
- NEW: Clay Pell Announces Run For RI Governor Via Video
- Pell’s Failed Voting Record Gets Worse
- NEW: Joseph Grady Named Sr. Fellow of Public Policy at Pell Center
- RI Congressional Delegation Pledge to Fight for Pell Grant Funding
- The Scoop: Superman Building Spokesman Talking for Pell
- Clay Pell: 14 To Watch in Rhode Island in 2014
- NEW: Pell Hires Former Chafee Policy Director Mahoney
- 38 Studios Scandal Could Spell Trouble for Incumbents
- NEW: Pell Named White House Fellow
- Russell Moore: Raimondo vs. Taveras vs. Pell?
- Twitter Account for Michelle Kwan’s Missing Car Mocks Pells & More
- Don Roach: Who is Clay Pell?
- NEW: Pell Receives Endorsement From Johnston Democratic Committee
- 5 Weekend Musts: Pell Bridge Run + More
- NEW: RI’s Clay Pell Engaged to Michelle Kwan
- Superstars of Trinity’s Pell Awards—Actor Kate Burton Newest Star
- Will Pell’s Missing Votes Matter at the Polls?
- INVESTIGATION: Pell Failed to Vote More than Half the Time
- New: Pell Pledges Millions to Cities, Can’t Name Funding Source
- EXCLUSIVE: Clay Pell Looks To Run For Governor in 2014
- NEW: Sen. Whitehouse to Discuss Pell Grants Monday
- The Scoop: Clay Pell’s Cousin Donated $2,250 to Raimondo; More
- Is Clay Pell the Next Lincoln Chafee?
- PODCAST: Is Clay Pell the Next Lincoln Chafee?
- Gamm Artistic Director Tony Estrella Named 2013 Pell Award Winner
- NEW: Senator Whitehouse Defends Pell Grants
- Trinity’s 2011 Pell Awards to Honor Theater/Film Star Amy Morton
- John Perilli: Pell’s Path Forward
- PODCAST: Pell Failed to Vote More than Half the Time
- Liza and More at this Weekend’s Pell Awards
- NEW: Viola Davis to Receive Pell Award From Trinity Rep
- Schaper: Clay Pell for RI Gov: Doesn’t Ring a Bell