NEW: Fung, Pell Report Q1 Fundraising Totals
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Republican Fung announced that he raised over $131,000 in Q1, for a total over a half a million dollars raised since 2013. Fung currently has over $400,000 cash on hand.
James Donahue, Finance Chair for the Committee for Allan Fung said in a release, "Of significant note, the Mayor has over 1300 unique donors, of which, over ninety percent (90%) of those donations are in-state donations, which translates to direct support for the Mayor here in Rhode Island. The Committee has received donations from all 39 cities and towns across Rhode Island. Clearly, the Mayor is raising his money from Main Street, not Wall Street."
For Q1, Pell reported receipts of $1,219,907.62, with $169,907.62 from individual contributions and a candidate loan of $1,050,000. Pell ended the quarter with $2,012,803.76 cash on hand.
Pell's campaign noted that "individual contributors" included "former US Senator David Boren (D-OK), former US Senator Tom Daschle (D-SD), former US Senator Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), Congresswoman Grace Meng (D-NY), Former Congressman James Slattery (D-KS), Colbie Caillat - singer-songwriter, Jeffrey Katzenberg - CEO of Dreamworks Animation, Sean Richardson - former Chief of Staff to Congressman Patrick Kennedy, Janet Robinson - former CEO of the New York Times, Stuart Sundlun - son of former Governor Bruce Sundlun, and Bryan Traubert - husband of Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker."
Related Slideshow: Win-Loss Records for 2014 Gubernatorial Candidates’ Campaign Managers
Oftentimes operating largely behind the scenes, a candidate's campaign manager or consultant plays an instrumental role in the outcome of the race.
The 2014 Rhode Island Gubernatorial candidates have assembled their campaign teams -- and managers, all of whom bring extensive political operative experience to the table.
Below is a look at the "batting average" of past efforts of the current set of top operatives when they were at the helm of other political races.
Eric Hyers - Campaign Manager, Gina Raimondo
Congressman David Cicilline's 2010 Campaign: WON
Congressman David Cicilline's 2012 Campaign: WON
NJ State Senator Nia Gill's 2013 Campaign: WON
MA State Sen. Karen Spilka 2013 Congressional Campaign: LOST
Winning Percentage: .750
Hyers, who cut his teeth organizing for for now-Senator Kirsten Gillibrand when she first ran for Congress in 2006, worked as a field organizer for John Edwards for President in the 2008 Iowa caucuses, directed a statewide field operation in Wyoming, managed state legislative races in Virginia and New Jersey, and served as the Executive Director of the Connecticut Democratic Party.
Hyers scored big while managing campaigns in New Jersey and Rhode Island, but came up short most recently in Massachusetts.
Danny Kedem - Campaign Manager, Angel Taveras
Anthony Wiener's 2013 New York Mayoral Campaign: QUIT
New Haven Mayor John DeStefano's 2011 Campaign: WON
Winning Percentage: .500
Kedem joined Wiener's political comeback bid after Weiner had resigned from Congress in a sexting scandal -- only to leave when Wiener once more was caught continuing the habit, spelling his downfall once again.
Connecticut Magazine's Jennifer Swift delineated Kedem's campaign history as having successful managed a New Haven mayoral bid, as well as outlining Kedem's early days organizing for Missouri Democrat Claire McCaskill’s U.S. Senate campaign and Hillary Clinton's 2008 run for the presidency.
Jeff Britt -- Campaign Consultant, Ken Block
2002 Bruce Bayuk RI General Assembly Write-In Campaign: LOST
2006 RI Governor Donald Carcieri Campaign: WON
2012 Mark Binder RI General Assembly Campaign: LOST
Winning Percentage: .333
Seasoned political operative Britt lost close races in Bayuk and Binder, but scored big with Carcieri while working alongside Ken McKay. Following the Bayuk effort, Britt served in the "Carcieri 1" administration to work across the aisle and support GOP efforts statewide.
Patrick Sweeney -- Campaign Consultant, Allan Fung
2010 John Loughlin Congressional Campaign: LOST
2012 Barry Hinckley Senate Campaign: LOST
Winning Percentage: .000
The former Executive Director of the Rhode Island Republican Party has extensive campaign and consulting experience, but is still looking to win big spearheading a major candidate effort.
Sweeney was Deputy Campaign Manager for Loughlin in 2010.
Devin Driscoll -- Campaign Manager, Clay Pell
Northeast Regional Director, Organizing for Action
Communications Director, Rhode Islanders United for Marriage
Winning Percentage: N/A
Driscoll has headed up successful grassroots efforts and served on the Obama for America campaign in two separate stints, as Rhode Island state director for the 2012 campaign and as a field organizer in 2008. Managing Pell's run for Governor marks Driscoll's first bid to win a statewide office campaign.
- Fung and Block: Do Either Represent GOP on Guns?
- Schaper: Fung, Block, Gina, Pell, Angel of Debt
- NEW: Would Taveras Support Fung Over Democratic Opponents?
- Is Pell’s Campaign Dead?
- NEW: Pell Unveils Education Strategy for Rhode Island
- Richard and Sharon Jenkins to Receive Trinity Rep’s Pell Award
- NEW: Block Calls Out Raimondo, Taveras, Fung for Ties to Fox
- State Report: Fung’s Education Reform Plan + Big Grants for RI
- Riley: Cranston and Mayor Fung Play the Hand that was Dealt
- Lincoln School 6th Grader Wins RI Independent School Spelling Bee
- New: Pell Pledges Millions to Cities, Can’t Name Funding Source
- Schaper: Clay Pell for RI Gov: Doesn’t Ring a Bell
- NEW: Block: Fung Flip-Flops on Corporate Tax Cut
- Taveras + Fung Nearly Tied in State Employee Donations
- NEW: Cranston Police Union Attorney Blasts Fung Proposal
- Michelle Kwan, Pell’s Star Spouse, May Have Only Voted Once (Ever)
- Nuala Pell, Grandmother of Clay Pell, Passes Away at 89
- Steiny: Expeditionary Learning: Journeying Through Compelling Content
- NEW: Fung Calls For Fox to Step Down From Speaker
- NEW: Fung + Block to Compete in Straw Poll at North Kingstown GOP
- NEW: Clay Pell Receives Endorsement from Charlestown Democrats
- PODCAST: Is Pell’s Campaign Dead?
- Twitter Account for Michelle Kwan’s Missing Car Mocks Pells & More
- NEW: Fung Calls for Chafee and Raimondo to “Come Clean” on Pensions
- NEW: Fung Responds to Supporter’s Racial Tweets about Obama
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Scrippelle M’Busse
- NEW: NEA of Rhode Island Endorses Clay Pell for Governor
- PODCAST: Pell Failed to Vote More than Half the Time
- Will Pell’s Missing Votes Matter at the Polls?
- Block Blasts Fung, Taveras, Raimondo for Support of Fox
- NEW: Fung Campaign Calls on Ken Block to Release Tax Returns
- NEW: Fung Volunteer Tweets Racial Comments About Obama
- EXCLUSIVE: Sundlun & Pell Aide to be New Speaker’s Chief of Staff
- NEW: Pell Hires Former Chafee Policy Director Mahoney
- Pell Calls on Mediation Parties to Set Deadline in RI Pension Suit
- Pell’s Failed Voting Record Gets Worse
- Block: Fung + Raimondo “Engage in Destructive Political Games”
- NEW: Fung Responds to Obamacare Diagnosis as “Job Killer”
- NEW: Fung to Speak at Northeast Republican Leadership Conference
- INVESTIGATION: Pell Failed to Vote More than Half the Time
- NEW: Fung As Councilman Voted for Gun Limits, Costa Reacts
- Pell Campaign Issues Statement on Car Missing Episode
- Russell Moore: Fung’s Folly
- NEW: Westerly Republican Town Committee Endorses Allan Fung
- In Case You Missed It: Is Pell’s Campaign Dead?
- NEW: Pell Receives Endorsement From Johnston Democratic Committee