Morgan Follows Up on Own Grant, Finds More Flaws in System
Thursday, May 26, 2016
Republican Morgan said that she had requested $5000 for Monsignor DeAngelis in Fiscal Year 2014 under then-Speaker Gordon Fox, for safety improvements around the West Warwick elderly housing complex, including pedestrian signage and crosswalks, only to find out this week that the project had been paid for by other funds.
"[The state] apparently came looking for the receipts about how the money was spent, and what we discovered was that the town had used leftover Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) money to pay for the [safety] project instead," said Morgan. "I never saw the [grant] money, it went to the Manor. I don't doubt they used it for other expenses, to help improve the quality of life there."
A review by GoLocal found that Morgan secured over $10,000 for DeAngelis Manor over a three year period; Morgan said the point of contact for Monsignor DeAngelis was in Florida this week and would be able to provide the paperwork of how the money was spent upon return.
Pressing The Issue
Morgan has continued to press on the issue of legislative grants, saying they should be equitably distributed, memorialized in the budget, or not be there at all.
"I've been outspoken about legislative grants. Yes, I got some money, but I got $12,000 over six years when the Speaker took in a quarter million dollars during that time," said Morgan. "Are there worthy causes? Absolutely."
"There's been so much pressure on the process for a reason," said Morgan. "But the question now is, will anything come of it?"
Related Slideshow: Top Rhode Island Legislative Grants 2015
Who received the largest legislative grants in 2015.
- Rep. Morgan Demands Changes or Elimination of Legislative Grants Program
- Patricia Morgan: 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Morgan: GOP Fought to Make Terrible Toll Bill Better
- Rep. Morgan Calls for Raimondo to Seek Court Opinion Before Tolling Trucks
- Rep. Morgan Calls for Legislative Grant Reforms, But Sought Thousands From Speaker Fox
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Morgan: Governor Raimondo, Are You for the People, or Your Pals?
- NEW: Morgan and Central Coventry Task Force Request Document Transparency
- NEW: Rep. Morgan Calls on AG Kilmartin to Investigate Coventry Fire District Meeting
- NEW: Representative Morgan Traveling to Turkey to Promote Democratic Principles
- NEW: Rep. Morgan Slams Coventry Fire Spending Proposal
- NEW: Law Student to Challenge Rep. Morgan in District 26