Mayors Rally Around Gay Marriage Legislation
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
The group includes Mayor Scott Avedisian of Warwick, Mayor James Diossa of Central Falls, Mayor Donald Grebien of Pawtucket, Mayor Charles Lombardi of North Providence, Mayor Daniel McKee of Cumberland, and Mayor Angel Taveras of Providence.
“I think it’s an incredible testament to their leadership that so many of our municipal executives have chosen to stand up and endorse Senator Nesselbush’s legislation currently being considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee,” said Ray Sullivan, Rhode Islanders United for Marriage campaign director. “We are deeply grateful for their strong support, and look forward to continuing to ensure the voices of the broad and growing majority of Rhode Islanders who believe in the freedom to marry.”
Share their lives
Rhode Island Mayors for Marriage Equality supports the national organization - Mayors for the Freedom to Marry, a national project of Freedom to Marry with more than 330 members in 33 states.
“Marriage tells our communities that two people are uniquely committed to one another – that they are a family. All loving couples deserve the dignity and respect only marriage affords,” said Central Falls Mayor James Diossa. “Our cities and towns have as their primary responsibilities public safety and education. The freedom to marry gives couples the tools and security they need to build a life together and ensures the children of all Rhode Island families have the unique protection only marriage can provide.”
Starting in 2009, the U.S. Conference of Mayors unanimously approved a resolution stating in part: “The U.S. Conference of Mayors supports marriage equality for same-sex couples, and the recognition and extension of full equal rights to such unions, including family and medical leave, tax equity, and insurance and retirement benefits, and opposes the enshrinement of discrimination in the federal or state constitutions.”
- SLIDES: Can Gay Marriage Clear the Senate Judiciary Committee?
- BREAKING: Chafee Signs Executive Order Recognizing Out-of-State Gay Marriages
- Do RI Voters Want to Decide Gay Marriage at the Polls?
- Don Roach: Gay marriage debate at the tipping point
- Gay Marriage Bill Introduced in Rhode Island
- Gay Marriage Debate Takes Center Stage Today
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Dan Lawlor: Time to Support Gay Marriage
- Is Gay Marriage on the Table in Rhode Island?
- LISTEN: Will Gay Marriage make it out of the Senate Judiciary Committee?
- NEW: Gemma Backs Obama, Announces Support for Gay Marriage
- NEW: House of Representatives Will Hear Gay Marriage Bill Tuesday
- NEW: Treasurer Raimondo Voices Support for Gay Marriage
- Obama Endorses Gay Marriage: Will RI Support Equality?
- RI State Report: Gay Marriage, Gun Registration and Calamari
- RI State Report: Unemployment, Gay Marriage & Fox’s Economic Plan
- Rhode Island Gears for Gay Marriage Battle in 2013
- Travis Rowley: Gay Marriage is a Sham
- State Report: Gay Marriage, Sawyer School Closure & Providence Tobacco Ban
- Senate will be Ground Zero for Rhode Island Gay Marriage Debate
- Travis Rowley: Gay Marriage: The Odds of Error
- See How the Members Voted on Gay Marriage - the Official Vote