Kenney: Don’t Fall for Ken Block’s Misinformation
Sunday, May 20, 2018
While there’s certainly nothing wrong with that (most people in the general public wouldn’t know the difference either), this fact should preclude him from being taken seriously when attempting to influence fire department policy. I certainly wouldn’t expect him to take my advice on running his little golf equipment company just because I’ve read a couple of articles and studied a couple of surveys on the subject. I have my opinions on different issues but I seldom post these opinions online unless it’s on a subject that I have an expertise – like the fire service.
Mr. Block’s latest claim regarding fire departments in RI is that departments (currently Warwick Fire Department) could save 25% of their salary costs by switching from a 4 platoon system to a 3 platoon system.
I don’t know whether he was out of state when Providence attempted the same thing in search of salary savings and reductions in overtime costs. That ill-conceived venture failed miserably and cost the taxpayers of Providence additional overtime expenses as well as a settlement of over $6 million to make up for compensation denied firefighters by unilaterally increasing their base hours by 25% without a commensurate raise in base salary. There was no one more convinced that the 3 platoon system would save millions of dollars per year that Mayor Elorza and Commissioner Pare. They were warned by pretty much every firefighter who offered an opinion that the change would actually cost the City more money. Instead of heeding the advice of those who have experience in the fire service they assumed they were more knowledgeable in the running of a fire department than the experts – much the same as Mr. Block.
Now, two years later Mr. Block proposes the same changes for the Warwick Fire Department. He also claims that this same change could save all RI fire departments 25% of their salary outlay.
Mr. Block mixes a study that found many Warwick firefighters work 24 hour, 48 hour and in one case a 96 hour shifts (OK, what does that have to do with a 3 platoon system?) with other misleading information and erroneous personal opinions to support his case. He deliberately misinforms his readers that over 70% of the fire departments in the US “happily work a 3 platoon system”.
And this is just the beginning. He promises on his Facebook page that “I've got a lot of fire data coming in the next 2 weeks”! God help us all! Please view his opinions and so-called data skeptically. He’s got a long history of attacking RI firefighters and RI fire departments with erroneous conclusions based on irrelevant information. Don’t be fooled that this so-called magic bullet to savings will work in Warwick and the rest of the state when it failed so miserably in Providence. Learn from Providence’s mistake. Remember, those who ignore their history are doomed to repeat it!
Tom Kenney is a retired captain of the Providence Fire Department.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner Tell Different Stories
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Fire Pare
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Providence Firefighter Stress
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Pare’s Abuse of Power
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: The PFD Post Incident Report
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Commissioner Pare Should be Fired
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Destruction of The PFD
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: The Gloves Come Off
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: The Worcester Six
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Lies, Insinuations, Exaggeration
- Tom Kenney: A Journalist Takes a Shortcut With Facts, Makes ProJo Look Like National Enquirer
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Elorza Leading Charge Against the PFD
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: PFD Organizational Chart
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kenney: Elorza & Pare - Make ‘em an Offer They Can’t Refuse
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kenney: Last Year’s Hero; This Year’s Trash
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Let Pare Go Before He’s Vested
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kenney: Political Doubletalk - Lies or Accepted as Truth?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kenney: It’s Who We Are
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kenney: Why is Pare Still Working
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Pare & Elorza Still Have No Clue About the Fire Department
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: All Lives Matter
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Elorza’s Incompetence
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Tentative Agreement
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Bankruptcy for Providence?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Providence Firefighters Fight Cold as Well as Fire