Hodgson Blasts Kilmartin For Breaking Crime Lab Promise
Monday, October 20, 2014
“He’s putting our residents at risk,” Hodgson said, adding, "This is America not a war zone. It is unacceptable for parents anywhere in RI to have to raise their children to the sound of gunfire in the streets.”
The state crime lab, responsible for conducting firearms examinations in all firearms cases, has a backlog of over one year.
The Crime Lab's request for a portion of the Google settlement fund under the Attorney General’s control was denied.
Read the Commission minutes here.
"Gang shootings are ruining quality of life for good people in our urban communities" said Hodgson. "Swiftly and effectively prosecuting gun crimes is a cornerstone of any progress here. Peter's inattentiveness to such an important issue doesn't just break his core campaign promise, it dilutes the justice system and puts our citizens in danger."
Hodgson concluded, "It’s time for a chief prosecutor in Rhode Island who understands what the criminal justice system needs and who is willing to do the work to fix it. Instead, we have Peter Kilmartin, a 24 year politician who has never prosecuted a felony case, and will say anything to get elected. We can't afford Peter's focus on perks, patronage and public relations in the best of times, but it's especially galling when the justice system is crumbling around him."
- Hodgson Rips Kilmartin Over $45,000 in Office Renovations
- Hodgson Stands with NAACP on Reducing Violence
- NEW: Hodgson Blasts Kilmartin For No Bid Legal Contracts to State Legislator
- The Scoop: Kilmartin Hits Back at Hodgson, Harrop Urges Right-To-Work Municipal Ordinance, and More
- Kilmartin Responds to Hodgson on RICO Gang Initiative
- Kilmartin Could Be Vulnerable to Hodgson in RI AG’s Race
- Hodgson Names Gobeil as Campaign Manager
- NEW: Candidate for AG Hodgson Proposes Action Plan for Google Fund
- NEW: AG Candidate Hodgson Calls for Kilmartin, Kempe to Step Aside
- NEW: Hodgson Calls for Action from AG on Overdose Epidemic
- NEW: Hodgson Announces Candidacy for Attorney General
- NEW: Hodgson Wants To Slow Down Transition to State Board of Education
- Kilmartin Blasts Corrections Officers’ Hodgson Endorsement
- Hodgson Refuses to Call Out Kilmartin on RI Beach Contract Controversy