Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Carson: Mismanagement of Tourism Campaign Has Jarred RI
Wednesday, April 06, 2016
The mismanagement of this effort has jarred Rhode Island as well as members of our commission. From the start, the commission has been concerned about the branding and design process. We were unsure about the selection of out-of-state consultants chosen to design the plan, but we were assured that the best of the best were chosen. We were assured that an inclusive process would involve Rhode Island stakeholders from the tourism and hospitality community. We were assured that the branding and marketing plan would be exciting and launched in January 2016, in time to market the state for the critical summer season.
We are sorely disappointed that these goals were not achieved.
The House recently voted to extend our commission through December, and we will use this time to demand accountability and results. The commission will seek regular updates from Commerce at our meetings through the end of the year, and will call upon its leaders to expedite the messaging to promote Rhode Island so that we may all see the purpose and function of the logo. We will solicit and review the responses of the regional tourism boards so their voices are heard clearly as this plan unfolds. We will measure the impact of the branding and marketing programs and we will make a full inquiry as to how such a traditional marketing exercise and product became such a fiasco.
Our commission plans to produce two interim reports before our final report in 2017, outlining our efforts to require better coordination and communication in the implementation of the state branding program. I hope and expect Commerce will fix this flawed effort before then, because our state wants and needs a tourism marketing effort that works.
Democratic Representative Lauren Carson is chairwoman of a special commission on statewide tourism marketing and represents District 75, Newport.
Related Slideshow: Tourism Logos For All 50 States (and D.C.)
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo’s “I Know an Out-of-State Guy” Caused the Tourism Disaster
- RI Tourism Campaign in Chaos
- Rhode Island Unveils New Tourism Logo
- UPDATED: “We Are RI” Tourism Video Taken Down by Commerce
- The Tourism Logos of all 50 States
- GoLocal Secures Copy of Deleted RI Tourism Video
- Raimondo’s Tourism Problems Are Far From Over
- Raimondo’s Out-of-State Contracts Extend Beyond Tourism
- Local Comedians Spoof “We are RI” Tourism Video
- More than 100 Errors on RI Tourism Website
- NEW: Raimondo Fires Betsy Wall For Tourism Campaign Debacle
- Westerly Chamber Boss Asks Commerce’s Wall and Pryor to Put Westerly in RI’s Tourism Video
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Conley: Don’t Tamper With Our Treasure - History is Not for Hacks!
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Commissioner Pare Should be Fired
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Zurier: The Best Way To Ensure Quality Public Education For All Rhode Islanders
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: RhodeWorks - The Right Route to a Stronger Economy
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Robert Billington: Welcome Home Pawtucket Red Sox
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Morgan: GOP Fought to Make Terrible Toll Bill Better
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. McKiernan: Car Tolls Benefiting General Fund Will Not Happen
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Sheehan: Ethics Reform - or a Festering Status Quo
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Ajello: Cell phone Location Data Merits Protection
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Fine: How Many Drugs & How Much Alcohol Do Rhode Islanders Use?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Mendelsohn: Assistant Principals-The Versatile School Leaders
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sheehan: Will We Meet on Common Ground?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Harry Adler: Dear Governor Raimondo
- Guest MINDSETTERS™ Craffey, Halloran, Hennessy: Millennial’s & Donald Trump
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Mellor: Invest in Our Own - Why Does It Appear to Be So Hard?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Morse: 1 Great Thing to do This Weekend - Attend Easter Vigil Mass
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Archambault: Surprise Billing Can be Financially Disastrous to Patients
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Fine: What Does Drug and Alcohol Use Cost Rhode Island?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stu Mundy: Teamsters for Trump? I Don’t Think So!
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Fire Pare
- Guest MINDSETTER™ DeNuccio: RI Should Reject Marijuana Legalization
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Destruction of The PFD
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: RhodeWorks RI, a Constitutional Pandora’s Box
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Berwick: Tax Reform in Rhode Island
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: The Teppco “Tax-Jack” and 10 Waterfront Acres