Guest MINDSETTER™ Harry Adler: Dear Governor Raimondo
Friday, April 01, 2016
I read with interest this morning that you stand behind the state's proposed new slogan & logo "Warmer & Cooler." You challenge skeptical Rhode Islanders (count me in) to rally around the new brand. You are quoted as saying, "We have to get past this persistent negativity. The negativity has held back Rhode Island for a long time."
Let me respond: I believe that I speak for many Rhode Islanders who are weary but who still hold onto a passionate love of our state. We look to you for reasons to feel a sense of optimism.
When our money is so poorly spent, as it is with this nonsensical logo, it is deeply offensive to suggest that we should simply put our "negativity" aside and rally behind this new branding. Why should we? It is a flat-out failure.
Do you know what makes me feel pessimistic? Reading this morning's paper and reading your defense of the slogan & logo.
Defending it in the face of what I imagine would be over a 90% disapproval rating, had we been asked (we were not), is exactly what breeds negativity!
Here is my view: You work for us, the citizens of Rhode Island. We are saying to you in no uncertain terms that the "Cooler & Warmer" slogan & logo is a misguided effort and a dreadful mistake. It doesn’t even begin, conceptually or graphically, to capture what makes Rhode Island so special. In fact, it does the opposite.
The solution is not taking a dismissive, patronizing stance by suggesting to the population that our well-considered concerns are "negativity." Rather, the solution is for you yourself to take a more positive, proactive approach by listening to and respecting our collective wisdom.
I think we all agree that growing the Rhode Island tourism industry makes total sense. Who knows what makes this state so amazing more than we do? When you hire an out of state firm to create a slogan & logo to help promote our state, here's what you've done:
- Spent too much money for an unacceptable product.
- Cast a "no confidence" vote in the local (and world class) design community.
- Produced a piece that feels as out of touch as you are when you minimize our multifaceted, well-articulated objections by labeling them as "negativity."
You can win us back. It's not too late. Fix the video, kill the slogan & logo. In other words, listen to us .... and watch the optimism flow!
President Adler’s Design Center and Hardware
Related Slideshow: Tourism Logos For All 50 States (and D.C.)
- UPDATED: “We Are RI” Tourism Video Taken Down by Commerce
- Would RI Tourism Account Be an Economic Spark?
- RI Commerce Picks 2 Out-of-State-Firms to Brand and Promote RI Tourism
- Providence Tourism Outperforming Region—and Nation
- Rhode Island Unveils New Tourism Logo
- More than 100 Errors on RI Tourism Website
- Raimondo’s Out-of-State Contracts Extend Beyond Tourism
- The Tourism Logos of all 50 States
- RI Tourism Campaign in Chaos
- GoLocal Secures Copy of Deleted RI Tourism Video
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo’s “I Know an Out-of-State Guy” Caused the Tourism Disaster
- Local Comedians Spoof “We are RI” Tourism Video
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Sheehan: Ethics Reform - or a Festering Status Quo
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. McKiernan: Car Tolls Benefiting General Fund Will Not Happen
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: RhodeWorks - The Right Route to a Stronger Economy
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Zurier: The Best Way To Ensure Quality Public Education For All Rhode Islanders
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Destruction of The PFD
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Morgan: GOP Fought to Make Terrible Toll Bill Better
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Robert Billington: Welcome Home Pawtucket Red Sox
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Fitzpatrick: What Buddy Cianci Taught Me
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tony Jones: Let’s Utilize Cannabis to Help Pay for RI’s Roads
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Forleo: CCRI About to Undergo Political Takeover
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: RhodeWorks Amnesty for East Bay & Aquidneck Island
- Guest MINDSETTER™ DeNuccio: RI Should Reject Marijuana Legalization
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: RhodeWorks RI, a Constitutional Pandora’s Box
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Berwick: Tax Reform in Rhode Island
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Fire Pare
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Archambault: Surprise Billing Can be Financially Disastrous to Patients
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Morse: 1 Great Thing to do This Weekend - Attend Easter Vigil Mass
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sheehan: Will We Meet on Common Ground?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stu Mundy: Teamsters for Trump? I Don’t Think So!
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Fine: What Does Drug and Alcohol Use Cost Rhode Island?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Conley: Don’t Tamper With Our Treasure - History is Not for Hacks!
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Commissioner Pare Should be Fired
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Ajello: Cell phone Location Data Merits Protection
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Fine: How Many Drugs & How Much Alcohol Do Rhode Islanders Use?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Mendelsohn: Assistant Principals-The Versatile School Leaders