Governor Raimondo Changes Her Name to Gina
Monday, July 02, 2018
The first “Gina” reference came GoLocal’s way in a statement delivered by campaign spokeswoman Emily Samsel.
“Gina's a Democrat who gets things done and under her leadership, Rhode Islanders are getting ahead. People are back to work in record numbers, there are cranes in the sky, rising wages, over 1,500 kids going to CCRI tuition-free, we’re investing in renewable energy, fixing roads and bridges, fixing schools, protecting Dreamers and taking decisive action to prevent gun violence,” according to the statement provided GoLocal on June 27.
“Gina thrives under the pressure and expectations that come with being one of only two female Democratic Governors in the country. A lifelong Rhode Islander, she saw firsthand that good things happen when hardworking students have access to the training and education needed to compete in today’s economy — that's why education and job training are top priorities in her administration, and why she continues to work her heart out to make sure our economic recovery reaches every single Rhode Islander," said Samsel.
GoLocal reviewed 50 previous Governor’s office press releases, statement and campaign releases — this was the first time, Raimondo was referred to by her first name.
Why the change of name?
It may be due to Raimondo’s lackluster poll results.
According to another poll conducted in Rhode Island by Public Policy Polling on behalf of the Sierra Club, Rhode Islanders continue to believe that state is going in the wrong direction.
“Generally speaking, would you say things in Rhode Island are heading in the right direction, or are they off on the wrong track?
Headed in the right direction 39%.
Off on the wrong track 52%
Not sure 9%”
While Rhode Islanders may believe Governor Raimondo is taking Rhode Island is the wrong direction, maybe Gina can turn the state around?
EDITOR'S NOTE: An earlier version was not clear that Raimondo served as four years as Treasurer prior to being elected Governor in 2014.
- GoLocal Statewide Poll: Raimondo and Fung in Dead Heat for Governor
- Raimondo Mutes Concerns About Partners HealthCare as Influential Board Members Host Mega-Fundraiser
- Raimondo Blames “Culture” of State Government in Announcing New Accountability Reforms
- R.W. Alley: “Raimondo’s Ship of State”
- Rickman’s Big View - “Raimondo Too Busy Raising Money”
- Fung on GoLocal LIVE Says Raimondo Fails to Take Responsibility for Failures
- UFCW Local 328 Endorses Raimondo’s Re-Election for Governor
- 2018 Governor’s Race Playbook: Brown Claims Friendship of Civil Rights Leader, He Endorses Raimondo
- Blistering Criticism By Democrats and Republicans on Raimondo Administration’s Legal Bungling
- Raimondo to Kilmartin: Investigate Lawyer Over Missed Deadline, HHS Secretary Escapes Blame
- NYC Fundraiser for Raimondo Hosted by Tobacco CEO Who Testified Cigarettes Do Not Cause Cancer
- 2018 RI Governor’s Race Playbook: Did Raimondo’s Disastrous Week Redefine the Gov’s Race?
- Health Organizations, Professionals Call on Raimondo to Veto Kristen’s Law
- 2018 Governor’s Race Playbook: Chaotic Week Ends With Question - Will Raimondo Veto Mattiello’s Bill
- PawSox Legislation Headed to Raimondo, Brown Calls for Veto
- Raimondo Signs Bills to Help Settle Lawsuits in St. Joseph’s Pension Collapse
- Is There Trouble for Raimondo and McKee in Rhode Island, After NY Congressional Upset
- UPDATED:Raimondo Signs PawSox Funding Bill — Costs $83M More, Draws Fire from Brown
- Dickinson Blasts Raimondo Over “Failure to Provide Leadership” on PawSox Legislation
- Brown Calls on Raimondo to Release Partners Fundraiser Remarks, Return Donations
- In Interview: Raimondo Pushes for Mental Health Parity as General Assembly Nears Finish
- Brown Challenges Raimondo on Healthcare and Competency on LIVE
- NEW: Raimondo, Morgan File Complaints Against Fung with RI Board of Elections - FUNG RESPONDS
- 2018 Governor’s Race Playbook - Is Raimondo Tipping Her Hand?