GoLocal Benchmark Poll: RIers Overwhelmingly Oppose Public Funding for the PawSox Stadium
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Presently, legislation pending before the legislature calls for a combined financing deal with the owners, the City of Pawtucket's Redevelopment Agency, and Rhode Island taxpayer dollars all going in on the funding.
The structure of that deal was recently questioned by Rhode Island General Treasurer Seth Magaziner. And, recently, Speaker of the House Nick Mattiello has offered that one possibility is to put the question of public financing on the ballot.
Regardless of the structure, Rhode Island taxpayers will have a moral obligation to pay off the bonds.
In keeping with the recent changes, Socialsphere, GoLocal's polling partner asked the following question:
"Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?"
SEE DAY ONE POLLING RESULTS BELOW
The GoLocalProv.com Benchmark Poll was conducted by Socialsphere -- founded by John Della Volpe, the Director of Polling at Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll - RI on Wrong Track, PawSox Opposition and More
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: Do Rhode Islanders Think State is on Right - or Wrong - Track?
- GoLocal to Release Part One of RI Benchmark Poll on GoLocal LIVE, Thursday at 4:00 PM
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: Majority of RIers Don’t Believe Their Family’s Finances Have Improved
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: Most Rhode Islanders Believe Economy Has Been Stagnant or Gotten Worse
- Minority Whip Filippi Floats “Better” PawSox Plan
- Moore: PawSox Hearings Present Real Opportunity For Rhode Islanders
- PawSox Take a Hit as Council Tables Pro-Stadium Resolution
- RI Voters Should Decide Fate of Proposed PawSox Stadium, Says Taxpayer Group
- 7 Questions the PawSox Need to Answer in Hearings
- NEW: RI Libertarian Party Urging City, Town Councils to Reject Public Financing for PawSox
- Senate Finance Announces PawSox Hearing Dates, Locations in RI
- New League Wants to Move Into McCoy if PawSox Move Out of RI
- LIVE: Whitcomb Says Chances of PawSox Going to Worcester are Slim
- Robert Whitcomb: Worcester Wouldn’t Well for PawSox; Taxing Away the Little Guys? Racial Fire
- This Friday Night On The Coalition Talk Radio - It’s a PawsoxPalooza
- Democrats, Labor Stack Hearing for PawSox Funding Scheme at RI State House
- Frias Goes Door-to-Door in Mattiello’s District Voicing Opposition to PawSox Stadium Funding
- Dates Announced for PawSox Stadium Legislation Hearings
- Libertarian Party Candidate Hunt Jr. Slams PawSox Stadium Proposal
- Tough Questions Emerging for the PawSox Proposal
- RI Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Endorses New PawSox Stadium at Slater Mill
- ABC6’s “In the Arena” - Brawl on the PawSox with Dufault, Fenton, Stenhouse & Rickman
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kinch: PawSox Must Put Up More Money for Deal to Work
- Raimondo’s Close Friend Sen. Booker Pushing Federal Bill that Would Kill PawSox Deal
- Moral Obligation for PawSox Funding is the Same as 38 Studios Legislation
- Leading Stadium Expert deMause: “I Can’t See How PawSox Bonds Will Be Paid Back”
- RI GOP’s Mendonca on PawSox, Trump, 2018 and More, on LIVE
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: RIers Overwhelmingly Oppose Public Funding for the PawSox Stadium