Fung is Back — Announces 2018 Run for Governor
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
“Don’t worry, I will be back,” Fung told supporters at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, where he conceded the Governor’s race to Democrat Gina Raimondo. Fung would have been the first Asian-American Governor of the state. Instead, Raimondo became its first female chief executive.
“The next Governor of Rhode Island has her work cut out for her on Day One,” an emotional Fung told supporters in 2014.
As GoLocal reported, “polls had shown a tight race heading into the final days of the campaign, a fact reflected in a deluge of out-of-state spending on negative ads against both candidates by so-called super PACs.” The other factor in 2014 was the late Bob Healey -- the Moderate Party candidate received more than 20 percent of the vote. Raimondo slide in with 40.7 percent.
Now in 2017, Fung has promised to win the GOP nomination again.
Fung said, “Fifty years ago, my parents moved to Rhode Island because they believed in the opportunities here for a better life, and because they believed in the American Dream.”
Fung will face House Minority Leader Patricia Morgan and former State Representative Joe Trillo in the GOP primary. Giovanni Feroce, a former State Senator and once a GOP candidate for Lt. Governor is undecided.
Before Fung's comments were out of his mouth the RI Democratic party hit Fung. “Fung 2018 is just a rerun of Fung 2014, only now it's married to Donald Trump's agenda. While he, Patty Morgan and Joe Trillo will inevitably argue about which version of TrumpCare they like the best, Governor Raimondo remains focused on the hard work that’s required to strengthen our economy and get results.” Rhode Island Democratic State Party Executive Director T. Kevin Olasanoye.
The Democrats need to be aggressive. A recently completed poll conducted by Socialsphere for GoLocal found that Raimondo has seen deterioration in her support.
Would you say that Gina Raimondo has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Governor?
Never heard of 1%
Cannot rate 3%
SEE FULL POLL BELOW
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- Is Fung Eyeing Another Match Up with Raimondo for Governor?
- Fung Proposes Paolino’s Anti-Panhandling Ordinance for Cranston
- Muksian: Forced to Resign in Providence for Self-Dealing, Tapped by Fung to Head Administration
- Fung Ducks DACA, Other GOP Gov Candidates Support Trump
- Fung Blasts Raimondo’s Record During Appearance on GoLocal LIVE
- Mayors Fung, Avedisian and Councilman Call for Release of 38 Studios Investigation Records
- Mayor Fung Announces New Flood Detection System Installed in Cranston
- Cranston Taxes Rose 6 Percent in 6 Years Under Fung
- Mayor Fung Talks About Economic Growth Without Taxpayer Subsidies on LIVE
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Tony Santos: High Crimes & Misdemeanors, Mayor Allan Fung’s Fall From Honor
- Democratic Female Senator Introduces “Governor Fung” at CLCF Softball
- Fung Announces Finding Possible Voter Fraud in Cranston, Calls for Reforms
- Former Cranston Mayor Blasts Fung, Raimondo and City of Providence
- Block Criticizes Fung on Cranston Employee Pay Raises
- Sepe Blasts Fung Over Cost of Litigation
- ABC6’s “In The Arena” - Paolino Goes 1-On-1 with Mayor Fung
- Sepe Blasts Fung’s Ordinance on Prohibiting Panhandling in Intersections
- Fung Leads Effort to Improve Panhandling Safety - Cranston Passes Ordinance
- Fung Says Cranston Can Still “Make its Argument ” in Legal Battle Over Anti-Panhandling Ordinance
- Fung and Avedisian Speak Out on Trump, GOP Chair Bell Refuses to Comment
- Robert Whitcomb: Raimondo’s Correct Veto; NFL Kneeling Distraction; Losing NE’s Forrest
- Critics Blast Raimondo Administration for $1 Million Waste on Johnson & Johnson Buildout
- 26 Examples of Raimondo’s Good, Bad, & Ugly—at 1,000 Days
- Experts Look at Raimondo’s First 1,000 Days as Governor of RI
- Raimondo Orders U.S. & RI Flags to Fly at Half-Staff in Honor of Las Vegas Shooting Victims
- Leading Invenergy Opponent Roselli Declares for Gov. Against Raimondo in Primary on GoLocal LIVE
- Why Are So Many Gearing Up to Run Against Raimondo? See Who Could Run for RI Governor
- Sick Time Legislation Passed by Legislature - Now to Raimondo
- Johnson & Johnson Heiress Caught Kicking Horse, Raimondo Has Provided $6M in Incentives to Company
- Moore: Raimondo’s Propaganda Program?
- Raimondo Refuses to Answer Questions About Leases at Wexford — Despite $40M in Taxpayer Subsidies
- Magaziner Announces RI Pension Fund Has Pulled Over $500M from Hedge Funds, Shift From Raimondo
- Sasse Says Raimondo’s Administration Buyout Plan is a Costly “Gimmick”
- Raimondo Calls for Delorenzo to Step Down from RI Democratic Party Leadership
- Raimondo’s Polling Numbers in RI Are Second Lowest Only to Trump’s
- Morgan Questions $95 Million State Employee Pay Increase Under Raimondo’s State Employee Buyout Plan
- Paolino, Raimondo Kick Off Construction of $30M Hilton Homewood Suites in Providence
- VIDEO: ACLU to Seek Additional Remedies Against Raimondo Administration for UHIP Failures
- Media Experts Preston & Whitcomb Weigh In on Raimondo’s Media Battle
- Raimondo Orders RI Flags to Fly at Half-Staff in Honor of Judge Walter Stone
- Raimondo Administration Offers Buy-Outs to Close $25M Budget Hole
- Head of RI Black Business Association Rips Raimondo and Commerce for Lack of Support
- NEW: Rep. Trillo Named Honorary Chairman of Trump for President Campaign in RI
- Trillo Introduces Wisconsin-Style Bill in RI
- BREAKING NEWS: Trillo Asked Robitaille to Drop Out for Caprio
- Trillo Has “Real Problem” with Frias Not Supporting Trump
- Trillo: Trump is “Entirely Correct” on National Anthem and NFL
- Trillo Calls for Boycott of Entertainers Who “Rant” Against President
- “I Won’t Be Politically Correct,” Said Former State Rep & Trump Campaign Chair Trillo on LIVE