Fung Fought Against Domestic Partner Benefits, Public Hearings as Insurance Lobbyist
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Fung, who served on the Cranston City Council from 2004 to 2008, was a registered lobbyist for MetLife from 2001 to 2008 before being elected as Mayor of Cranston in 2008, serving from 2009 until the present.
SLIDES: See Five Bills Fung Lobbied For -- and Against -- as MetLife Lobbyist BELOW
"Before he was elected Mayor of Cranston, Allan Fung served as Government Relations Counsel for a national company based in Rhode Island," said Fung campaign spokersperson Rob Coupe. "In that role, he worked with legislators and regulatory agencies throughout the United States and in Rhode Island, he worked to prevent the implementation of new and more onerous regulations that would further increase the cost of doing business and ultimately result in higher premiums for Rhode Islanders."
The Rhode Island Secretary of State's office, which maintains online lobbyist records dating back until 2005, shows that Fung opposed legislation to mandate the disclosure of frees and commissions from insurers, requiring public hearings on proposed insurance rate increased, and extending benefits to domestic partners upon death, as well as others. Fung has been on the record opposed to marriage equality.
In June, GoLocal reported Fung opposed an insurance industry flood notification bill as lobbyist -- and Cranston City Councilor -- prior to historic floods in Cranston in 2010.
"In many cases, proposals were modified to achieve policy goals in a way that would not impede business or increase costs to consumers," said Coupe. "As Governor, Allan will use this experience in reducing the burden of government regulation to help Rhode Island businesses cut through red tape and once again make our state open for business."
Related Slideshow: Five Bills Fung Voted For—and Against—as MetLife Lobbyist
Below are 5 bills from the 2005 Rhode Island General Assembly session that Republican gubernatorial candidate Allan Fung lobbied for -- and against.
The Rhode Island Secretary of State maintains a database of lobbyist records HERE.
"This act would create disclosure requirements for insurance producers. Those parties must fully disclose their fees, commissions, and any other compensation generated by the writing of any quoted policy."
"The act would require a public hearing on all proposed insurance rate increases before such increase would become effective."
"This act would provide that an insured, claimant, or an auto body repair shop may file a complaint with the department of business regulation if the insurer interferes with a free choice of repair facility and the procedure for filing complaint."
"This act would permit a domestic partners to recover damages for loss of consortium for the wrongful death of the other domestic partner."
- What Fung Needs to Do to Win
- Fung Opposes Chafee Administration Pay Hikes
- Weld Endorses Fung for Governor
- The Scoop: Fung Confirms Christie RI Visit, Almonte Blasts Magaziner on Disclosure, and More
- NEW: Debate Confusion Cleared Up - Fung Voted in Two Democratic Primaries
- NEW: Fung is Open to Tolls on State Highways
- Block Calls on Fung to Explain His Role in Cranston Police Scandals
- Fung Shot “RI Open for Business” Ad in Ohio
- NEW: Block, Fung Spar Over Taxes, Ohio
- Fung, Palombo, City of Cranston and Others Sued for Civil Rights Violation in Federal Court
- The Scoop: RenewRI Critical of GA’s Handling of ConCon, Fung’s Latest Endorsement, and More
- The Scoop: Fung’s Plan to Reform Taxes, Gorbea Adds to Campaign Team, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Hits Back at Negative Ad, Dems Blast Fung-Christie Connections, and More
- The Scoop: Block Endorses Fung; Elorza, Almonte, Magaziner Pick up Endorsements, and More
- New: Block Calls on Fung to Explain Immigration Freedom Ride Support
- Fungs Wins RI GOP Gubernatorial Primary
- The Scoop: Fung Poll Shows Dead Heat With Raimondo
- NEW: McKee CIaims Taylor Splitting from Fung
- Providence Could Become First RI City to Regulate Lobbyists
- The Top 20 Highest Paid Lobbyists
- NEW: Providence Demands Lobbyist Accountability
- PODCAST: Buying Influence in RI: Companies Spent $350k on Lobbyists in October
- Buying Influence in RI: Companies Spent $350k on Lobbyists in October
- The Highest Paid Lobbyists: 1-10
- The Highest Paid Lobbyists: 11-20
- Gemma Violates Pledge, Takes Lobbyist Money
- Lobbyists on Transition Teams
- Chafee and Raimondo: Half of Appointees Are Lobbyists
- RI Favorites - Lobbyist Series
- RI Groups Have Spent Over $2.2 million on Washington Lobbyists in 2011
- Lobbyist Spending Exploded in November
- Projo and Other Daily Papers Hire Lobbyists to Block Budget Reform
- PODCAST: Projo, Other Papers Hire Lobbyists to Block Budget Reform
- NEW: Chafee to Attend Dem Lobbyists Ski Weekend in Montana
- Listen: Fung Opposed Flood Notification Bill as Insurance Lobbyist
- Fung Opposed Flood Notification Bill as Insurance Lobbyist
- State Report: GOP Unveils New Program, Term Limits + Lobbyists
- Rhode Island’s Top 10 Spenders on Washington Lobbyists
- NEW: Taveras Criticizes Raimondo on Wall Street “Blind Spot”
- Don Roach: When Will the Taveras and Raimondo Fireworks Begin?
- Raimondo Goes Negative on Hit TV Ad on Taveras
- NEW: Kennedy Donated to Pell, Raimondo, Not Taveras
- Taveras Swings Back at Raimondo
- New Poll Show Raimondo Has Trouble with Women
- Father of RI General Treasurer Gina Raimondo Dies at Age 87
- Democratic Primary: Is This Raimondo’s Race to Lose?
- Russell Moore: Raimondo’s Daunting Fundraising
- NEW: Raimondo Blasts Taveras for Property Tax Hikes in Providence
- Raimondo’s Top Hedge Fund is Being Investigated by Feds
- NEW: Fung Calls on Raimondo to Release Hedge Fund Research
- NEW: Fung Calls on Raimondo to Release Hedge Fund Research
- The Scoop: RI GOP Blasts Raimondo/Reed Commercial, Lynch Called for Pierson Resignation, and More
- INVESTIGATION: Raimondo Investment Program’s Fees Exceed Gains
- The Scoop: Cianci, Elorza Spar Over Public Safety, GOP Ups the Heat on Raimondo/Reed Ad, and More
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Jeffrey Girgenti: Why La Salle Took Down the Photo of Gina Raimondo
- Russell Moore: Is Raimondo Just a Smooth Lincoln Chafee?
- Democratic Governor’s Primary Winner is Gina Raimondo
- POLL: Pell Streaking, Taveras Sinking and Raimondo Leading
- Raimondo 1000+ Jobs Claim - Narragansett Beer Has 13
- Will Labor Divide Spell Victory for Raimondo?
- Block Calls Out Raimondo For Failing To Support 2010 Tax Reform
- Doherty Endorses Raimondo for Governor
- The Scoop: RI Democratic Governors Association Blasts Fung, Christie, and More