Don Roach’s Political Wish List
Wednesday, December 05, 2012
I’ve tried to be a good boy this year. I didn’t harp on Governor Chafee (too much). I didn’t call Congressman Cicilline many names. I didn’t even criticize the liberal writers over at RI Future (remember them?). So, because I’ve been a good boy – I mean a good 35 year old man – I’d like to give you my Christmas wish list.
No tolls on Sakonnet
Santa, our state has a number of beautiful bridges can you please not allow the Sakonnet Bridge to become another toll bridge for the state? I mean, it’s not as though the toll money will reduce unemployment and help us get rid of things like the car tax. No, it’s just going to be another thing the government does that hurts the middle class. Santa, I wish that the Sakonnet bridge does not become a toll bridge and that instead cars are backed up along the bridge because of the jobs you’ll bring to Rhode Island.
Which brings me to my next wish
Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!
Ok Santa, it’s about the economy, the economy right here in little Rhody. I recall in the late 90s, reading the Sunday paper and seeing it full of various jobs. I was excited, I was hopeful, and now I look around and wonder if the state will ever be a leader when it comes to the economy or will we always be behind our bigger neighbors?
Santa, I’d love to wake up Christmas morning and learn that a large company has decided that they want to bring a thousand jobs to Rhode Island. One thousand middle class jobs to help people like me who want to support their families and not have to kill themselves in the process. Santa, for everyone who has lost their job over the past several years, give them a new opportunity next year!!
Otherwise, I’ll have to keep this on my list just like I had a remote control car on my list for several years as a kid.
Santa, I’ve got one final wish. I’ll try to be more serious than my last two wishes. I would like a reduced tax burden on regular joes like me and my family. The car tax, property taxes, income taxes, and the like make life much more difficult even for those of us fortunate to have a job.According to the Tax Foundation, we have the 6 th highest tax burden in the country. But the good news is, in 2001 we were number 2 so we’re moving in the right direction…slowly.
Mr. Claus the people of this state don’t need you to come down any chimneys or drink the eggnog we leave for you Christmas morning. No, the people of this state need your help with the economy. Your business continues to grow every year as the population grows, but in Rhode Island we’re struggling.
Please make my wishes come true and I promise to be even better in 2013!
Don Roach will be waiting up for Santa this year.
- Don Roach: Blind Faith in Cicilline is Reckless
- Don Roach: Jim Langevin Should be Very Afraid of Mike Riley
- Don Roach: Cicilline & Gemma Make the Case for Doherty
- Don Roach: Jockeying for Position in the 2014 Governor’s Race
- Don Roach Reacts to David Cicilline’s Victory
- Don Roach: GOP Relevancy for Dummies
- Don Roach: Mike Riley can Beat Jim Langevin
- Don Roach: 2012 Election Predictions
- Don Roach: Gemma Looks to Expose Cicilline
- Don Roach: Obama Campaign Takes Cue from Karl Rove
- Don Roach: 5 Things We Learned on Election Day
- Don Roach: Governornment Loans are Bad Business
- Don Roach: A Moment of Truth for Mitt Romney
- Don Roach: Hinckley Closing in on Senator Whitehouse
- Don Roach: An Equitable Solution to Illegal Immigration
- Don Roach: If Progressives Win, We Lose
- Don Roach: Assessing Blame for the Latest Fiscal Crisis
- Don Roach: It’s Doherty or Bust for Rhode Island