Don Roach: I Hate Politician Adspam
Wednesday, April 02, 2014
Let’s start with the following e-mail I received:
Subject: Still the shortest email you'll receive today with CORRECTED LINK
Please help. Need money for my campaign before midnight tonight.
I imagine thousands of Rhode Islanders received the same spam-a-liscious e-mail from the David Cicilline team. Let’s deconstruct the e-mail. First, let’s start with the subject line. Yes, if you read the subject you’ll connect the dots and know that this was not the first but second e-mail of the same content sent by the Cicilline team. The first one sent out, you know the one whose content holds 77 characters (half as long as the longest tweet) had the wrong link included. So, of course, the Cicilline team had to send out a corrected e-mail because they couldn’t take the thirty seconds to make sure the link worked before sending out the original “shortest email”?!
Next, the email addresses me as Don just to make sure I know that this isn’t some random e-mail from some politician I’ve never met, will never support, and who nearly brought down the city of Providence. Sticking to the point it seems like whoever is addressing me needs help. What help is required? “Need money for my campaign.” Let’s repeat that…
Are you kidding me? We’re electing and paying the salaries of our congressional leaders and their sending us junk like this? Was adding the “I” before “need” too much for the congressman to add to this e-mail? Yes it works grammatically, but come on! And where’s the why I should support Cicilline and his pursuit of reelection – assuming that was what was meant by “my campaign.”
Am I alone in wanting just a little more persuasive (forget informative) language in solicitation e-mails than “Need money for my campaign”??
I have not had the opportunity to meet Congressman Cicilline in person but apparently we’re on a first name basis. Alrighty then, David, may I suggest something? Next quarter when you and your team are shucking and jiving for a few more dollars on the last day of the quarter please send supporters, non-supporters, and politicos solicitation emails that at least exhibit someone on your team passed kindergarten. I’m not looking for 10th grade English – no NECAP proficiency here - or heck even 4th grade, just passing knowledge of kindergarten English would be nice.
Thank you and since we’re on a first name basis, this is a request from Don.
That’s not all…
Just when I was content to roll my eyes at all of the last minute campaign solicitation e-mails, Cicilline’s team hit the poor unfortunate souls on their e-mail distribution list two more times on the 31st. The first e-mail came around 8pm when there were 4 hours to collect any additional first quarter campaign contributions. This one didn’t come from David but a staff member but was just as short and sweet, but it did tell me they needed about seven thousand to reach their first quarter goal. The subject was “4”, just “4”. Creative, I know.
Then about an hour later I received an e-mail from the same person with a subject of “hurry…we only have 3 left”. It was also asking me for money as the earlier “4” but at this point I was done with David. I replied back, “please stop” and apparently the Cicilline team understands short and to the point quite well because I didn’t receive a “2” or “1” message from David’s staff. Score one for Don.
I can’t be the only one mildly annoyed by the rush of campaign contribution spam – and it is spam – from political candidates at the end of each quarter am I? I’d like to say something along the lines of “if campaigns spent half the time on solicitation e-mails as they did on…” but as you can see from David’s e-mail half the time wouldn’t amount to much. Hmm…maybe David and the rest of the Rhode Island Congressional delegation are spending half the time on actual issues facing the state and the country.
Given the state of our economy, that would make perfect sense.
Related Slideshow: Chafee Answers Questions on Fox and Mattiello
"The key issues that I care about are a good budget and to make sure we pay for our infastructure, especially our bridges to Aquidneck Island. I certainly care about if the unions pass pension reform that we avoid long litigation and also 38 Studios; I do not want to default on 38 Studios."
-photo credit: Nicholas Handy
- Don Roach: 10 Things I Want for Christmas
- Don Roach: 5 Things We Learned on Election Day
- Don Roach: An Equitable Solution to Illegal Immigration
- Don Roach: Boston Bombing—The Latest Challenge To Our Freedom
- Don Roach: Diversity is Overrated
- Don Roach: Good Intentions Often Lead to Hell
- Don Roach: I Hate Politician Adspam
- Don Roach: Latinos Are The Key to the Republican Revolution
- Don Roach: My Education Crusade - Finding the Secret Sauce
- Don Roach: OMG! The Government Shuts Down!
- Don Roach: Paula Deen, Affirmative Action + 21st-Century Racism
- Don Roach: Religious Freedom isn’t Important to Obama
- Don Roach: Too Many Vacancies in Occupy Movement
- Don Roach: When Rights Collide – Homosexuality and Religion
- Roach: Targeted Providence Schools Should Close
- Don Roach: 2012 Election Predictions
- Don Roach: 5 Things to Watch for in 2012
- Don Roach: Angel Taveras is Losing His Shine
- Don Roach: Brendan Doherty Needs to Up His Game
- Don Roach: Does Anyone Care About Cranston School Secretaries?
- Don Roach: Governornment Loans are Bad Business
- Don Roach: If Cicilline Wins In 2012, Voters Lose
- Don Roach: Let’s Get Ready To Rumble
- Don Roach: My Education Crusade Begins Today
- Don Roach: Obama Campaign Takes Cue from Karl Rove
- Don Roach: Political Things I’m Thankful For
- Don Roach: Rhode Island Needs a Sales Tax Holiday
- Don Roach: Trying To Make Sense Of The Zimmerman Verdict
- Don Roach: Who is Clay Pell?
- Roach: This Is Why People Hate Politics
- Don Roach: 2nd Place a Win in New Hampshire
- Don Roach: 50 Years Later, The Negro Is Free
- Don Roach: Are Beautiful White Females The Only Murder Victims We Care About?
- Don Roach: Can We Believe Raimondo?
- Don Roach: Don’t Frisk Me, Bro
- Don Roach: Head-Scratchers From The Past Week
- Don Roach: If Progressives Win, We Lose
- Don Roach: MLK’s legacy is More than Just a Holiday
- Don Roach: NECAP and Gist
- Don Roach: Obama Goes on the Offensive
- Don Roach: President Obama has Failed to Turn Around the Economy
- Don Roach: Rhode Island’s Christmas Carol
- Don Roach: Vote Republican in 2012
- Don Roach: Why President Obama Won Last Night’s Debate
- Roach: While Prov Fiscally Flounders, Cranston has No Tax Increase
- Don Roach: 38 Studios Was Never a Good Investment
- Don Roach: A Conversation with Representative Brian Newberry
- Don Roach: Are You Ready to Kill Syrians?
- Don Roach: Carcieri Makes Chafee Look Like a Genius
- Don Roach: Fiscal Cliff? What Fiscal Cliff?
- Don Roach: Hinckley Closing in on Senator Whitehouse
- Don Roach: Is The Master Lever So Bad?
- Don Roach: Making Sense of the Newtown Tragedy
- Don Roach: NSA Warrantless Surveillance The Beginning of the End
- Don Roach: Obama Justified in Killing Americans?
- Don Roach: Providence City Council Unanimously Votes Republican
- Don Roach: Super Tuesday, The Day of Reckoning?
- Don Roach: Wake Me When the CD-1 Race Begins
- Don Roach: Will Gemma Knock Off Cicilline?
- Don Roach: 5 Big Stories Facing RI in 2014
- Don Roach: A Moment of Truth for Mitt Romney
- Don Roach: Assessing Blame for the Latest Fiscal Crisis
- Don Roach: Chafee’s Switch Doesn’t Matter… To Anyone
- Don Roach: Fung Gains Cranston GOP Endorsement as Block Falters
- Don Roach: How Will the Next RI GOP Chair Restore Credibility?
- Don Roach: It’s Doherty or Bust for Rhode Island
- Don Roach: Marriage Equality Advocates Don’t Love All Minorities
- Don Roach: Newt Fights Back in South Carolina
- Don Roach: Obama Loses Showdown with Putin
- Don Roach: RI GOP Gun Raffle Shows Moxie
- Don Roach: The Buffett Rule is Really the Buffet Rule
- Don Roach: We’re Still Ignorant On Race
- Don Roach: With Santorum Out, Nothing Left to Stop Romney
- Don Roach: 5 Most Intriguing Stories from 2012
- Don Roach: After Iowa, What Next?
- Don Roach: Black History Month Needs to Go
- Don Roach: Cicilline & Gemma Make the Case for Doherty
- Don Roach: GOP Relevancy for Dummies
- Don Roach: Hypocrisy, Thy Name Is Obama Diplomacy
- Don Roach: Jim Langevin Should be Very Afraid of Mike Riley
- Don Roach: Megyn Kelly Needs a Serious Reality Check
- Don Roach: Newt Gingrich – Your Next U.S. President
- Don Roach: Obama- A Case Study In Deceit
- Don Roach: RI GOP’s Passionate Pursuit of Mediocrity
- Don Roach: The Fiscal Cliff and Rhode Island
- Don Roach: Welcome to the Era of Social Media Wars
- Don Roach: You Bet Cicilline is Sorry
- Don Roach: Immigration reform appears imminent
- Don Roach: 5 Reasons Conservatives Don’t Trust Romney
- Don Roach: Allan Fung Needs to be RI’s Next Governor
- Don Roach: Black People are Getting Lost in the American Shuffle
- Don Roach: David Cicilline Ruined Providence
- Don Roach: Gay marriage debate at the tipping point
- Don Roach: I Am a Republican…We’re Idiots
- Don Roach: Jockeying for Position in the 2014 Governor’s Race
- Don Roach: Mike Riley can Beat Jim Langevin
- Don Roach: No Significant Need To Wear Your Seat Belt
- Don Roach: Occupy & the Tea Party – Twins Separated at Birth
- Don Roach: RI Politicians Don’t Know Jack About Business
- Don Roach: The Power Of Poverty