Diehl Blasts Senator Warren for “Failing New Bedford”
Sunday, May 13, 2018
“As the fishing season begins, the New Bedford sector 9 fleet is grounded – costing the community millions of dollars and hurting working families. The boats are stuck at the docks because Senator Warren has failed to do her job. If she spent as much time working to restore the licenses as she does selling books and campaigning out of state, New Bedford would not be facing this crisis,” said Diehl.
New Bedford Fishing
Last year Carlos Rafael, also known as the “Codfather,” was convicted of violating federal fishing regulations. In response, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) grounded the fleet over six months ago. Rafael’s business consisted of 40 vessels with permits which are now at risk of being relocated out of state.
The New Bedford fishing fleet brings in $369 million in seafood every year. Rafael employed 285 fishermen who are out of work while the fleet is grounded. NOAA may take several months before deciding on transferring of the licenses.
“Due to Senator Warren’s failed leadership and Rafael’s illegal activities, New Bedford is going to lose its status as the highest valued port in the United States -- a title that it has held for 17 straight years. New Bedford needs a Senator who will work tirelessly on the issue,” said Diehl.
He added, “New Bedford deserves better than a Senator focused on rhetoric rather than results. It is time for a Senator who will assist instead of resist. As the next U.S. Senator, I will be a strong advocate for New Bedford keeping the licenses and repealing the overburdensome regulations. I will be there for New Bedford the entire 6 years. I won’t just show up in an election year.”
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- MA Senator Elizabeth Warren to Endorse Hillary Clinton
- Oregon’s Merkley is 1st Senator to Endorse Bernie Sanders - Where is Sen. Warren?
- Reed, Warren, Sanders and other Senator Express Serious Concerns About Mylan’s Price Hike on EpiPens
- Sen. Warren to Wells Fargo CEO: “You Should Resign”
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Trump and Clinton, Raimondo’s CA Developer, and Warren’s Greatness
- Riley: Warren Buffett, Jorge Elorza and Jack Bogle
- Warren Blasts Obama On Trade Enforcement
- TRENDER: Warren Jeweler LeeAnn Herreid
- Rob Horowitz: Obama and Warren: Making Strides on Student Loans
- Should Elizabeth Warren Run for President in 2016?
- Warren Heritage Foundation to Present Moon River Gala
- Sen. Warren Expands Investigation Into Equifax Breach
- Warren Questions Labor Secretary Nominee Acosta Before Confirmation Hearing
- Warren Urges FCC to Abandon Plan to Kill Net Neutrality
- Linden Place Mansion to Host Lecture on the History of Slavery in Warren
- Patriot Great Campaigns For Elizabeth Warren’s Opponent