Carol Anne Costa: Lobby Hobby – Gorbea Crafts Lobby Laws That Stick
Thursday, June 04, 2015
In a time where every bill is poked, prodded and tested for any link to jobs and the economy, lobby reform is one, that upon its passage will certainly indicate our state's readiness to pivot to ethical, open, and transparent governing. Reforms embodied in a bill which give the Secretary of State improvements that will stick like hot glue to parchment paper, encased in a strong and sturdy framework. Ahh, isn't that a pretty picture?
Subpoenas, You Say?
Gorbea’s legislative package H-6178 simplifies and clarifies the rules governing lobbying, and maximizes transparency. It creates a more user friendly registration and reporting system, as well as strengthens the investigation and enforcement powers of the Rhode Island Secretary of State. The act would take effect on January 1, 2016, none too soon. This bill represents a total overhaul of lobbying rules and regulations. But more, it has the power of administrative subpoenas and gives the Secretary of State the tools to investigate and question problems in order to get answers the public so desperately craves. It also strengthens penalties for offenders. These are no small reforms and are more than sprinkles of glitter to make the past look better without substantive change. You know... lipstick on a pig laws. These new moves represent comprehensive modifications to a seemingly stagnant law. It’s about time, for we are running out of Cover Girl.
So what’s the push pack; I can hear it now, “We trust Nellie...but, oh no, what if a future Secretary of State gets overzealous blah blah blah?” These reforms are designed to give tools to streamline, consolidate and better serve the charge of oversight for all Secretaries of State. I am thinking of a Streisand song, “Gee, how zealous can you get?” I feel Rhode Islanders welcome the possibility of reform and may even smile gleefully at the thought of a zealous reformer. After all, decades of merely scratching the surface for answers is getting as faded as old crumbly newsprint. Gorbea’s empowerment of administrative subpoenas in this package has particular appeal, as it gives the power to question and investigate. And, I can see many of you right now rolling your eyes proclaiming, “Sure… a day late and 75 million dollars short.” Guess what? We can continue to gripe or we can get behind this package for the future of our state. I say give Nellie the tools and perhaps it will be a floodgate to ethics reform. Stop gasping it could happen. That would be the bonus for sure. Picture it, like a nesting doll; inside lobby reform, surprise-we find the courage to pass ethics reform. I think I like crafting!
Do Your Job
Recent chapters in our state’s history have brought Rhode Island to a dark place where trust in government is eroding at a feverish pace, at the same time moving toward reforms in lobbying and ethics are crawling as slow and creepy as a slimy slug, leaving a trail of apathy, disgust and suspicion across the pages of our own RI scrapbook. The trail which is visible to businesses, corporations and the citizenry has a direct, decided and negative impact on the state's economy, as it smears our history and clouds our present. Listen up scrappers! It is up to us to clean up our clippings and shine up our stencils and get the scrapbook back in shape. After all it is what people, tourists, investors and businesses see first. It is our very own Lobby Hobby!
With the passage of H-6178 the Secretary of State and General Assembly will lead on lobby reform. I know that will be well received, as folks look to invest in our state as opposed to run for the hills. Lobby reform will be a positive step toward cleaning things up and making our scrapbook look new, refreshed and much better for all of us. Make no mistake; it is legislation that is inextricably linked to jobs and the economy. And to the lobbyists, I say, “do your job… and your reporting.” Rhode Island deserves nothing less.
- Carol Anne Costa: Gorbea is Pitch Perfect
- Carol Costa: The New VA … A Winning Model - An Inspired Mission?
- Carol Anne Costa: Giving Thanks
- Carol Anne Costa: History, Housing, and Humans
- Carol Anne Costa: People, Packaging and Polymers
- Carol Anne Costa: Monica Lewinsky, Patient Zero
- Carol Anne Costa: God Help Us
- Carol Anne Costa: Will the Mission Trump the Mayhem?
- Carol Anne Costa: Is It Really Only About the “Goodell” Boys?
- Carol Anne Costa: A Progressive by Any Other Name…
- Carol Anne Costa: Fence Jumping and Fist Pumping Bureaucracy in Crisis
- Carol Anne Costa: The Stockings Were Hung….
- Carol Anne Costa: A Superlative 2014
- Carol Anne Costa: Thanks Mika!
- Carol Anne Costa: There’s No Crying in Baseball - A Team of Our Own
- Carol Anne Costa: The Ugly Truth
- Carol Anne Costa: Violence, Voting and VEMA
- Carol Anne Costa: Potenza: “The Voice” of Democracy!
- NEW: Rep. Costa Blasts Providence for Issuing Parking Tickets
- Carol Anne Costa: A Swing and A Miss
- Carol Anne Costa: Inauguration 2015 - epiphany
- Carol Anne Costa: Obama 2.0 - Sweetness, Swagger & Swat
- Carol Anne Costa: Juno Exposed - Our Strengths
- Carol Anne Costa: Measles, Megaphones and Morons
- Carol Anne Costa: What is Infrastructure? It’s Personal