Block Calls on Fung to Explain His Role in Cranston Police Scandals
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Fung was named in a federal lawsuit filed by a police captain put on leave for nearly two years. The charges were dismissed when the State Police took over the Cranston Police Department earlier this year.
“Mayor Fung needs to explain why it took the State Police mere weeks to fix a problem that the Mayor ignored for two years,” said Block. “At the very least, the Mayor needs to come out today and tell us if he believes the State Police were right to dismiss the charges against Captain Patalano.”
“The Mayor owes the people of Cranston and the voters of Rhode Island an explanation. He cannot continue to make public statements about Captain Patalano’s lawsuit which seem to question the judgment of the State Police in reinstating him and dropping the charges made by the former Chief.”
“This is what political insiders do. They allow mismanagement and misconduct to flourish on their watch and then they walk away, leaving taxpayers with the bill,” said Block. “Mayor Fung is preparing to leave a steep tab behind in Cranston and is asking Rhode Island voters to let him make a mess of things at the state level as Governor. We need to reject insider politicians and get serious about electing leaders who will fix Rhode Island and put an end to business as usual.”
Related Slideshow: 10 Questions Fung Has to Answer When Running for Gov of RI
10) Can Fung raise the money necessary to be competitive?
At the last reporting period, Cranston Mayor Allan Fung's campaign had only $336,000.
Ken Block had $540,000 and he just entered the race.
Democrat Gina Raimondo has over $2.3 million and even Angel Taveras has $759,000 cash on hand.
9) Is Fung ready for prime time?
Fung is well-liked in Cranston and most everyone thinks Fung is a "nice guy."
Gina Raimondo and Angel Taveras can claim they took on tough issues.
Ken Block articulates big ideas and a proven record in business, but out of the gate Fung's campaign seems less than ready.
Fung's campaign manager got confused about how many Democrats Fung has donated to and his motivation for donating to them.
Would another four years in Cranston be the wiser path?
8) Can Fung effectively run against Angel Taveras?
Fung claims Providence Mayor Angel Taveras as a close friend, but it raises questions about inherent personal conflicts and ability to run and effective race.
Politics in Rhode Island is often a blood sport, will Fung approve that knockout punch TV spot in the closing weeks that tags Taveras for the spiraling crime problem in Providence?
7) Is Fung's base big enough?
For Mayor Fung, his base is Cranston, but he does not enjoy a groundswell of Hispanic voters like Providence Mayor Angel Taveras hopes to bank on (7% of the voters were Hispanic in the General Election in 2012, according to Pew Research).
A race against Raimondo would be tough as she would very likely have a strong block of female voters.
Where does Fung get his votes?
6) Can Fung defend the tax increases in Cranston?
When Fung runs as a Republican against a Democrat, there is an advantage if Fung can point out a differentiation of fiscal discipline. Fung, as Mayor, had numerous and significant residential and commercial tax increases.
This will not help him against the fiscally prudent Ken Block, but even if he were to win the primary then he would lose the advantage against Angel Taveras in a General Election. Both have ushered large tax increases through their councils.
5) Why pledge to create "20,000 jobs"? It sounds like Don Carcieri.
Don't know if Fung was paying attention, but GOP Governor Don Carcieri ran on...creating 20,000 new jobs.
When Carcieri left office, Rhode Island had the worst unemployment in America. Not sure Fung wants to mirror that Carcieri pledge.
4) Defending Don Carcieri and making him a part of the campaign - is that a good idea?
The collapse of 38 Studios has scarred Don Carcieri's legacy as Governor of Rhode Island. At best, Carcieri was star struck to give a baseball player $75 million -- at worse, Carcieri was part of something far more ominous.
For Fung, who wants to run as the future of Rhode Island, why be associated with Don Carcieri?
3) Defending the lobbyist role?
In 2014, do we think Rhode Islanders will be looking for a former lobbyist for a large corporation that is cutting Rhode Islander's jobs to be our next Governor?
Lobbyist-turned-Governor will be tougher to pull off than actor Ronald Reagan-turned-Governor of California in the 1960's.
2) Understand the changing position on gay marriage?
Hard to know what Allan Fung's position is on gay marriage. At different times he offered a range of views.
Some GOP primary voters have been opposed to the RI law and others were supportive, but neither segment of the GOP may understand what his position was -- or is.
1) Political donations to local, federal and national Democrats - are you sure you are a Republican?
Fung has given to David Cicilline, US Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, former RI Senate President Bill Irons and once RI Attorney General Patrick Lynch. Fung's campaign manager claims he was a lobbyist and needed to donate to Democratic leaders. Cicilline, Reid and Lynch meet none of those criteria.
Not only did Fung give thousands of his own dollars to Dems, he turned down requests from leading GOP candidates like John Robitalle and Jon Loughlin who were badly outspent and needed every dollar to win.
The Republican party in Rhode Island is a pretty small group trying to create a pretty big tent - from Scott Avedisian to Doreen Costa. For most Republicans in this state it is tough -- you don't enjoy the political connections and you're part of a tiny minority -- so loyalty matters.
- Cranston Police Source of Intimidation, Say Critics
- NEW: ACLU Suing Cranston Police
- Top Cranston Police Gave Thousands to Fung
- NEW: ACLU Calls for Investigation of Cranston Police Dept. Practices
- PODCAST: Cranston Police Source of Intimidation, Say Critics
- Fung, Palombo, City of Cranston and Others Sued for Civil Rights Violation in Federal Court
- Fung Proposes Reform of Business Regulation for Rapid Service
- NEW: Fung Calls on Raimondo to Release Hedge Fund Research
- NEW: Fung Calls on Raimondo to Release Hedge Fund Research
- Fung, Taveras Leasing Campaign Headquarters from 195 Bidder Carpionato
- NEW: Fung Calls on Chafee to Rescind Caprio Beach Contract
- NEW: Fung Questions Block on Campaign Finance Reporting
- Block Blasts Fung Over Lying About Deepwater Wind Contributions
- Fung Supported Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants as Cranston Councilman
- Fung Shot “RI Open for Business” Ad in Ohio
- NEW: Cranston Diner Owner on Fung: “You’ve Got to be Kidding Me”
- NEW: Block, Fung Spar Over Taxes, Ohio
- NEW: Cranston Police Union Attorney Blasts Fung Proposal
- NEW: Law Enforcement Group Criticizes Lack of Minorities for Cranston Police Chief Search
- NEW: Cranston Police Chief Palumbo Retires
- RI GOP Wars Over Chafee-Fung Mailer Sent in 2010
- Fung Releases New “Open for Business” Ad
- LISTEN: RI GOP Wars Over Chafee-Fung Mailer Sent in 2010
- Fung Condemns Block for “Belittling” Violent Crime Victim
- Fung Reports Strongest Quarter to Date Raising $136,000
- LISTEN: Fung Supported Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants as Cranston Councilman
- Fung Vows to Seek Career, Technical Education Legislation Reform
- NEW: Block Blasts Fung on Cranston Share of State Aid
- Fung Opposed Flood Notification Bill as Insurance Lobbyist
- Block Calls for Ethics Commission Investigation on State Beach Concessions
- Glover Joins Block Campaign
- NEW: Block Calls Out RI Leaders for Failed DMV Contract with HP
- Block Calls for End of Political Corruption in Rhode Island
- NEW: Block Calls for Consolidation of 911 Dispatch Centers in RI
- NEW: Block Calls Reducing RI DMV Wait Times Top Priority
- NEW: Block Chastises Dems for Insider Politics, “Rigging the Game”
- Chafee Confirms State Investigation into Caprio Beach Contract; Will Block FOIA Requests
- Russell Moore: Block and Fung Have GOP Problems
- NEW: Block Praises Passage of Master Lever Bill by Senate Judiciary
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Ken Block: Independence from Bad Government
- NEW: Block Urges Voters to Watch How Legislators Vote on 38 Studios
- Fung and Block Need to Know the Importance of Reagan’s 11th Commandment
- Cape Air Service: Green Airport and Block Island Begins May 22
- Block Poll Shows 9 Point Lead Over Fung in RI GOP Primary
- Don Roach: Fung Team Must Recognize Block Campaign Growing Stronger
- NEW: Block Calls Superman Deal “Kryptonite” for RI
- New: Fung Blasts General Assembly for Late Night Rush
- NEW: Fung Proposes Legislation to Prevent Lobbyists’ Loans to Lawmakers