poll: Who is to Blame for Debt Ceiling Disaster?
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Who is to Blame for Debt Ceiling Disaster?
- 2724 vote - President Barack Obama, not willing to compromise
- 2678 vote - Senate Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), won't cut spending
- 304 vote - Tea Party members of the House, oppose to any solution
- 83 vote - Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), he can't keep his party in-line
The White House issued a statement on late Monday, "Now, faced with the “my way or the highway,” short-term approach of the House Republicans, Senator Reid has put forward a responsible compromise that cuts spending in a way that protects critical investments and does not harm the economic recovery."
Not to be outdone, House Speaker John Boehner said Tuesday on the Laura Ingram Show, “Listen, it’s time to do what is doable, and this bill isn’t perfect. … That’s what happens when you have a Democrat-controlled Senate and a Democrat in the white House. This bill was agreed to by the bipartisan Senate leadership, and we believe we can get this on the president’s desk, and make it law. Listen, we're not going to give him a $2.5 trillion blank check that lets him continue his spending binge through the next election. That’s not going to happen.”
Who is most responsible for the crisis? If the US goes into default - who deserves the blame?
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT Raising the Debt Ceiling
- NEW: Chafee—End US Debt Stalemate
- U.S. Debt Default:: What It Means For You
- US Debt Default Would Make RI Budget Crisis Worse