Regunberg Volunteer Playing Corrupt Politician in Ad About Reform Is Convicted Felon
Friday, August 31, 2018
Cagen was convicted by the federal government for fraud.
According to court records, Cagen was convicted of “conspiracy to defraud the United States.”
Regunberg is facing incumbent Lt. Governor Dan McKee in a heated Democratic primary.
Fraud Charge, Response
Cagen was convicted on the following charge, according to a GoLocal review.
18371.F CONSPIRACY TO DEFRAUD THE UNITED STATES
JUDGMENT as to Andrew M. Cagen (1) count(s) 1. 5 years imprisonment, execution of that sentence is suspended and the defendant is placed on probation for 5 years. $50,000.00 restitution, payable over the 5 years of probation. The defendant is to complete 50 hours of community service, each year while on probation. $50 special assessment. ( Signed by Judge Ronald R. Lagueux ) (Burgess, J).
In a phone interview, Cagen said,"It was two decades ago. It was involving financial transactions involving flipping houses and I received to personal gain."
Cagen said he did not think about when asked to be in the TV ad, "There is an irony that I played a lobbyist in the commercial."
He added that he never served jail time.
Cagen is also a donor to the Regunberg campaign. He has made four donations totaling $950.
Today, Cagen has a law practice in Providence after being reinstated in the late 1990s by the Rhode Island Supreme Court.
Regunberg's campaign refused to comment.
The article was first published 8/30/18 10:57 AM.
- Regunberg Says National Grid Rate Hike Would Cause “Real Pain” for Rhode Islanders
- Three RI Environmental Groups Endorse Regunberg for Lt. Governor
- LIVE: Regunberg on Single-Payer Legislation & Addressing High Costs of Prescription Drugs
- Regunberg Introduces Legislation to Increase Access to State House
- “The System is Rigged” - Regunberg on “Public Power” Legislative Proposal for RI
- Regunberg Talks About His Run for Lt. Governor’s Office on GoLocal LIVE
- Monday Night’s Community Discussion Features Vincent, Regunberg, and Fenton
- Where is Regunberg on RI Progressive Democrats’ Opposition to Budget? UPDATED
- “This Fight Isn’t Over” - Regunberg on PUC Approving National Grid Rate Hike
- Rep. Regunberg Predicts a Big Day on Tuesday for Progressives in RI
- Regunberg’s Campaign Fundraising Email Pledges to “Turn New Mexico Blue”
- Elorza Flip-Flops, Backs Lt. Gov. Challenger Regunberg After Refusing to Support Ranglin-Vassell
- Democracy for America Endorses Regunberg for Lieutenant Governor
- NEW: McKee, Regunberg Battle Over “Fake News” Ads
- NEW: Regunberg Raises $107K in Q1 for Lt. Governor; War Chest Now Nearly $350K
- Regunberg Applied to Harvard Law in ‘16 While in Office, Deferred Before Lt. Governor Bid
- McKee Criticizes Elorza on Speed Cameras Following Regunberg Endorsement
- Regunberg on “Benny’s Bill,” Putting Ethics Filings Online, Protecting Dreamers, & More
- Regunberg Say RI Needs “Acute, Emergency Action” to Protect Women’s Right to Choose