Cheat Sheet 60, FBI Files: Is Coia Son Like Father?
Monday, October 03, 2016
Make no mistake about it, the files are layered with information about a time where the scope and reach of the Patriarca crime family permeated nearly every aspect of life in New England.
This week is focused on the case of the FBI against Arthur E. Coia.
In 1999, Michael Powell of the Washington Post wrote about the Coia’s (both father Arthur E. and his son Arthur) and their role as leaders of the Laborers’ International, “The senior Coia also was identified in federal racketeering reports as a business associate of Raymond L.S. Patriarca Sr., who, as it happens, was CEO of the New England chapter of La Cosa Nostra. Patriarca had a face of pure and cool menace. In the early 1960s, the FBI eavesdropped as Patriarca Sr. talked about his business strategy. Faced with competition, he explained, he found it helpful to "hit them, break legs to get your way."
"If Arthur Coia Sr. told Raymond Patriarca Sr. that there was a little problem, a guy wasn't hiring union guys, he was hiring scab help, we would . . . visit the guy. Me, and Fall River Dan and the Snake, and Blackjack and Bobo . . ." wrote Powell.
PAGE 29 Cookout at the Laborer’s Training Academy at Pomfret CT, celebrating Arthur E. Coia’s Birthday — strictly a social event.
PAGE 50 Business from “Fat Tony” Salerno.
PAGE 86 Arthur E. Coia liked to go to Giro’s in the North End in Boston..
"By contrast, the Teamsters waged a bitter court fight against the 1988 federal racketeering lawsuit in which the Justice Department accused them of being dominated by the Mafia. But the union, the nation's largest, ultimately gave in, agreeing to a court-approved consent decree that called for appointing a panel of outside overseers to launch a three-year effort to rid the Teamsters of what a federal judge termed 'the curse of organized crime,'" wrote the Los Angeles Times in September of 1995.
FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 60
- Cheat Sheet 59, FBI Files: Coia’s Relationship with Patriarca, FBI and the Clintons
- Cheat Sheet 58, FBI Files: Patriarca and Coia, the Massive Effort to Prosecute
- Cheat Sheet 57, FBI Files: Did Patriarca Run Laborers’ International
- Cheat Sheet 56, FBI Files: Raymond Patriarca Dies
- Cheat Sheet 55, FBI Files: FBI Source is Marked for Death, Col. Stone and Maj. Benjamin
- Cheat Sheet 54, FBI Files: FBI Track Alleged Bribes to NJ Governor Brendan Byrne
- Cheat Sheet 53, FBI Files: Key Witness is Killed
- Cheat Sheet 52, FBI Files: Federal Courts Battle Over Indictments of Coia and Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 51, FBI Files: Indictment of Patriarca, Coia, & Other Laborers International
- Cheat Sheet 50, FBI Files: Winter Hill Gang, Bonded Vault, Bevilacqua’s Relationship with Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 49, FBI Files: Las Vegas Casinos, RI Corruption, Callei Murder, Bonded Vault
- Cheat Sheet 48, FBI Files: Patriarca Asks to Appear on CBS News with Cronkite
- Cheat Sheet 47, FBI Files: Patriarca Runs His Crime Organization from Jail
- Cheat Sheet 46, FBI Files: Is Patriarca Losing Power? Gang War Coming?
- Cheat Sheet 45, FBI Files: Valachi Called to be Deposed in Patriarca’s Suit Against Boston Herald
- Cheat Sheet 44, FBI Files: 20 Murders, Coia, Worcester Cop
- Cheat Sheet 43, FBI Files: Nazis, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and Civil Rights
- Cheat Sheet 42 The Patriarca Papers – Nazis, Negroes and Buying a Chevy Dealership
- Cheat Sheet 41, FBI Files: Bianco, Bombs Outlawed, Volpe and Warwick Musical Theatre
- Cheat Sheet 40, FBI Files: Collapse of the Bonanno Family, Bodies in a Car, Dynamite on the Engine