“We’re Confident We Have the Votes” to Legalize Marijuana in RI, Says Moffat
Friday, March 10, 2017
Jared Moffat with RegulateRI appeared on GoLocal LIVE to make the case for legalization, following former Congressman Patrick Kennedy appearing on the show to say why he is against. SEE MOFFAT'S APPEARANCE ON GOLOCAL LIVE BELOW
VIDEO: See Kennedy's GoLocal LIVE Appearance HERE
"This year is different. Massachusetts changes the dynamic quite a bit," said Moffat. "If Rhode Island doesn't do it this year, we'll be donating a lot of tax revenue, a lot of jobs [to Massachusetts]. And we'll be left behind."
Combating AG, Opponents
On Thursday, Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Kilmartin and opponents to marijuana legalization held a press event, to which Moffat issued a response.
Citing poll results where they found that three out of five Rhode Islanders support legalization "because they understand that the sky has not fallen in Colorado, Washington or other states that have chosen to make marijuana legal for adults," Moffat blasted the aggressive approach by Kilmartin, just prior to his appearance on LIVE.
"We question whether it is appropriate for full-time state employees from the Attorney General's Office to focus so much time and resources lobbying against marijuana when most voters support adopting a more sensible approach," said Moffat in a statement. "In addition to the press conference today, their office is pushing cities and towns to adopt a very misleading and inaccurate anti-legalization resolution."
"It flies in the face of scientific research," Moffat told GoLocal. "There's a substitute effect -- people use marijuana instead of pain medication."
"All this money is flowing in the hands of illicit dealers. we could use it instead to invest in schools," said Moffat of money being spent on marijuana. "There are positive benefits [to legalization] even if you don't use marijuana -- public health, public safety, jobs, and revenue."
Moffat said that while he doesn't know for certain where legislators all stand on the tax-and-regulate legislation, he is optimistic that Rhode Island would follow in Massachusetts footsteps -- should they get a vote.
"It's tough to get them on the record," said Moffat. "We feel confident that if the bill's allowed to be voted on -- but in the [past] six years we've never gotten a single vote ---- we feel confident we have the support to pass it out of both chambers."
Related Slideshow: The Highest Marijuana Prices in New England by State
The "crowdsourced" website, The Price of Weed, uses consumer input to show how much an ounce of marijuana costs -- by location.
Below are the rankings of New England states, from lowest price reported for "medium grade" marijuana, to highest, along with the number ("n") submitting data.
Med: $297.83/oz (n=2305)
- Legalizing Marijuana is “Throwing Gasoline” on Addiction Fire, Says Former Congressman Kennedy
- RI’s Still Dissatisfied About Direction, Supports Charter Schools, Tourism and Legalized Marijuana
- Marijuana Advocates Critical of Raimondo’s Proposed Non-Binding Referendum
- Fatal Crashes Involving Recent Marijuana Users Double in Washington
- Providence Man Pleads Guilty to Operating Marijuana Grow Facilities
- Providence Man Arrested After Police Find Rifle, Marijuana in Home
- Guest MINDSETTER™ DeNuccio: RI Should Reject Marijuana Legalization
- Casino Proposal and Marijuana Legislation: This Week at The State House
- Who Supports Legalizing Marijuana - and Who Doesn’t - in RI
- Moore: Time To Legalize Marijuana
- PHOTOS: Medical Marijuana Tax Protesters at Rhode Island State House
- Rep. Slater Introduces Legislation Doubling Medical Marijuana Compassion Centers
- Group of Health Organizations Urge Dem National Committee to Reject Marijuana Legalization
- Petition to Reclassify Marijuana Denied by US DEA
- The 2017 Effort to Legalize Marijuana is Launched in RI
- RI ACLU, RIPAC Blast Department of Health’s Regulations on Medical Marijuana
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Ford: No More Reefer Madness - Legalize Marijuana
- 1-on-1 With Mattiello on 2017: Car Tax, Marijuana, 38 Studios, and More
- Guest MINDSETTERS™ Sen. Miller & Rep. Slater: RI Should Regulate Marijuana
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Legalizing Marijuana, Green Power, and Howard Johnson
- 11 Massachusetts Physician Groups Oppose Recreational Marijuana
- Massachusetts Votes to Legalize Marijuana
- Rep. Corvese to File Bill Making Identities of Medical Marijuana Providers Public Info