VIDEO: Grebien Appeals to State to Help Keep Hasbro in Pawtucket
Thursday, November 08, 2018
The press conference, which was announced Wednesday morning, was short on details — but clear that Grebien felt a sense of urgency to maintain the company’s presence in Pawtucket, following recent announcements of staff cuts — and rumors that the company is eying a new location for its global headquarters.
SEE VIDEO BELOW
The announcement from Grebien comes after Hasbro announced global staff cuts mid-October — which were followed by third quarter performance numbers which showed net revenues decreased 12%.
Grebien on Record
“We urgently need the leadership of the Governor and General Assembly to prevent another economic loss for our community,” said Grebien on Wednesday, who said that the state’s assistance would be needed to keep Hasbro in Pawtucket — but provided little information.
“The City of Pawtucket, Hasbro officials, the Governor and Commerce are meeting to put a definitive package together to ensure Hasbro’s future in Pawtucket,” said Grebien. “The agreement to the meeting comes at the request of myself and [Central Falls Mayor James] Diossa who earlier today put out an urgent call to action to ensure the entertainment [company] remains here in Pawtucket.”
“As we did with the PawSox, we’ve aggressively been working with Hasbro to keep them here in Pawtucket but we recognized we can’t do it alone - we need a comprehensive unified commitment, a dedication of resources, creative thinking, and strong statewide leadership to join with Hasbro to protect the jobs that are here and that they remain in Pawtucket,” said Grebien.
Grebien said he’s spoken with Hasbro officials who assured him the global company would meet with city officials, Grebien admitted following the press conference that working with the private company means he had little information to work with.
“Because [Hasbro’s] private, I’m concerned we’re not having those conversations,” said Grebien of what Hasbro is seeking in a next move.
Related Slideshow: Election Night 2018: Photos of Democratic Heaven and GOP Hell in RI
- Hasbro Ranked 1st on 2017 100 Best Corporate Citizens List
- RI Comic Con, Hasbro Spar Over Marvel Comics Icon Stan Lee’s “Last New England Appearance”
- Hasbro Invites Rapper Who Hypes N-Word, Promotes Misogyny & Drugs in Lyrics to HASCON Family Event
- Hasbro Inc. Launches “Be Fearless, Be Kind” Program to Teach Empathy to Kids
- RI & Hasbro Children’s Hospital Experts Offer Tips to Avoid Scalding Injuries
- Hasbro, Inc. Announces Earnings of $175.76 Million
- Hasbro Inc. Ranks as Most Community Minded Company in America
- EXCLUSIVE: Hasbro Looking at Superman Building to Create Providence Campus
- Did Pawtucket Chase the Wrong Ball — Memorial, Gamm, and Potentially Hasbro All Gone
- Toys ‘R’ Us Could Close All U.S. Stores and Liquidate — Adverse Impact on Hasbro
- Hasbro Donates 30,000 Toys and Games to Children in Puerto Rico
- UPDATED: Plan to Build Hasbro Headquarters in Providence—Demo Superman Building