UPDATE: RI Dept. of Health Announces All Beaches Now Open
Friday, August 30, 2013
As GoLocal reported earlier today, HEALTH had announced the closure of City Park Beach in Warwick, Cominicut Point Beach in Warwick, and Scarborough State Beach in Narragansett due to high bacteria counts.
Specifically, this means that enterococci bacteria (an indicator organism used to detect the presence of fecal matter in the water column) levels were higher than the acceptable standards set by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management and US Environmental Protection Agency.
A phone call from GoLocal to HEALTH this morning confirmed that the trio of beaches was to be closed on Friday, but the latest report from HEALTH states that officials have recommended re-opening the aforementioned beaches for swimming.
According to HEALTH, new water samples show bacteria levels are now within acceptable limits. Water quality analysis is conducted by the HEALTH laboratory or a state certified laboratory.
Currently all licensed beaches are open for swimming. HEALTH will continue to monitor the water quality regularly to assure safe bathing throughout the summer season.
Beach status may change on a daily basis. For up to date information call (401) 222-2751 or visit www.health.ri.gov/beaches.
- Best Beaches for Every Type of Beachgoer
- Rhode Island’s Best Summer Foods You Have To Eat Before Labor Day
- Get Free Skin Cancer Screenings at RI Beaches
- Methodology: New England’s Best Beach Towns 2012
- New Web Site Tracks Healthiness of RI Beaches
- New England’s Best Beach Towns 2012
- RI’s Best Beaches
- Rankings List: New England’s Best Beach Towns 2012
- Rhode Island’s 10 Best Beaches
- Top 10 Beach Towns: New England’s Best Beach Towns 2012
- Destination: Labor Day Weekend
- Tunes On the Dunes Rocks the Beach in Westerly
- NEW: Three Popular RI Beaches Closed Headed into Labor Day Weekend
- Local Getaways in Rhode Island For Labor Day Weekend
- Block Island’s Town Beach Best in US—Coastal Living Magazine
- NEW: Swim Guide App to Help Swimmers Find Clean Beaches
- Local Labor Day Getaways
- Daily Vine: A Day at Narragansett Beach