United Way of RI’s Women’s Leadership Council Donates Over $116k for Children’s Education
Saturday, July 22, 2017
United Way of Rhode Island’s Women’s Leadership Council donated $116,503 for local children’s education in the Hasbro Summer Learning Initiative (HSLI).
“Everyone needs to understand how real summer learning loss is and how effective programs like the Hasbro Summer Learning Initiative are in reversing that trend,” said Petra Jenkins, Account Manager for General Mills, and the incoming Chair of UWRI’s Women’s Leadership Council.
The Women’s Leadership Council announced they would match all donations made in support of the HSLI.
Following an overwhelming response from the community, members decided to give an additional $60,000 gift to help Rhode Island’s children.
According to the Afterschool Alliance, students lose up to two months of math and reading skills over the summer.
Students who took part in last year’s program averaged gains of 22 percent in literacy skills and 30 percent in math skills.
In 2016, the six-week program helped 1,600 Rhode Island youth statewide avoid summer learning loss.
Related Slideshow: United Way Grantees - 2016-2019
- United Way of RI to Host Housing Summit on March 14
- United Way RI Brings Free Tax Services on Road With 8 Scheduled Events
- United Way & BankNewport Give $300K to Newport Afterschool Programs
- United Way of Rhode Island and Hasbro Expand Summer Learning Initiative
- United Way of RI Presents Annual Community Awards
- United Way of RI’s Miccoli Selected to National 2-1-1 U.S. Steering Committee
- United Way of RI Awards $155,000 in Grants for Safe, Healthy & Affordable Housing
- United Way’s Tax Prep Service Comes to Providence in April
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders—Meet Luis Vargas
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders—Meet Michaela Antunes
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders—Meet Lupe Aguilar
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders—Meet Eric Wasserman
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders—Meet Erlin Rogel
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders — Luis Olmo
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders — Elijah Stephenson
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders — Nicole Verdi
- Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders — Joseph Phommasith