slides: Top Priorities of 2014 Providence Mayoral Candidates
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Economic development, crime prevention, education, infrastructure needs -- what are the issues that are most important to current field of Providence Mayoral candidates?
Below are the top priorities of the current 2014 candidates for Mayor, as well as their top agenda item if elected to office.
Related Slideshow: Providence 2014 Mayoral Candidates’ Top Priorities
See the issues of top concern to Providence Mayoral candidates Lorne Adrain, Jorge Elorza, Dan Harrop, Brett Smiley, and Michael Solomon -- and if elected, what their highest priority would be.
Harrop - Top Issue
"City finances: $600 million deficit in pension plan, $1billion deficit in benefits plan, reductions -- because of finances -- in police causing public safety concerns (down 75 from several years ago, when the academy graduates at the end of the year, given further retirements, we will really only be back up about 20-25 new officers), reduced ambulance runs, potholes, crumbling schools, etc., etc."
Harrop - Administration
"Getting the unions into the office and reminding them, again, the city cannot pay the pensions it has promised. Again, the GOP said this 8 years ago, and we were right, the Democrats wrong. We are saying this again (this time, the Dems are silent -- interpret that as you will -- I interpret it that they know we are right, but they have problems admitting their complicity in this problem). We can further negotiate reductions, or move to receivership. Until we acknowledge we cannot pay the pensions, we will be unable to come up with the money for any and all of the spending programs the Democrats are proposing. Further increasing the highest commercial tax rates in the nation is not the answer, and only further depresses the city's economic fortunes."
Smiley - Top Issue
"The most pressing issue facing Providence is our economic well-being, and that's why I've made job creation and economic development a centerpiece of my campaign. We've certainly made progress over the past few years and I'm grateful for the work Mayor Taveras has done to bring us back from the verge of bankruptcy, but we're not out of the woods yet."
Solomon - Top Issue
"The most pressing issue is economic development, and there are several components to this: creating jobs, growing our middle class and ensuring that every child has access to a good school. As a small business owner, I understand the challenges of running a business. I want to make it easier to do business in Providence. As City Council President, I've taken on those challenges by supporting a freeze on the commercial tax rate and moving the permitting process online, making it easier for developers to do business. I also want to rebuild our middle class and improve education, goals that can be achieved through my plan - "Rebuilding Providence" - which will invest $250 million to create 2,000 jobs and rebuild our schools."
Solomon - Administration
"As Mayor, my top priority will be creating a city with opportunity for all. I will work together with everyone in the community to rebuild Providence's middle class, create jobs and strengthen our schools. I believe the people who know best how to improve our neighborhoods are the people in living in them. As Mayor, I won't be stuck behind a desk at City Hall. I'll be a Mayor in the neighborhoods, working hand in hand with the community to rebuild Providence."
- EXCLUSIVE: Cianci Weighs in on Providence Mayoral Race
- PODCAST: Mayoral Candidates Speak On Prov Firefighter’s $200K+ Pay
- NEW: Mayoral Candidate Elorza Reports $182K in 2013 Fundraising
- Providence Community Library to Host Mayoral Candidate Forums
- NEW: Mayoral Hopeful Smiley Raises $100K+ in First Quarter
- Providence Mayoral Candidates: Who Failed to Vote?
- RI State Report: Solomon’s Health Violations + Mayoral Shake-Up
- Providence Mayoral Race Taking Shape
- NEW: Mayoral Candidate Smiley Unveils Plan to Make City Safer
- NEW: Council President Solomon Announces Providence Mayoral Bid
- NEW: Smiley Opens Committee to Explore Providence Mayoral Run
- NEW: Adrain Kicks Off Campaign for Providence Mayoral Run
- NEW: Providence Mayoral Candidate Elorza Closes Quarter with $82K
- NEW: Lorne Adrain Files for Providence Mayoral Run
- The Scoop: Mayoral Candidate Smiley Runs for a Good Cause