slides: The Top Charter Schools in Rhode Island
Thursday, September 26, 2013
The data shows the results are more mixed that one might expect. Of the two dozen charter schools in Rhode Island, many are indeed high-performing, but others lag not only behind the pack, but also behind other public schools in the state.
The below ranking is based upon data compiled by the Rhode Island Campaign for Achievement Now, a local education reform group. Each school is ranked according to an overall “grade.” For elementary and middle schools, the overall grade is the average of student performance and the performance of key subgroups—Latinos, blacks, and low-income students. The performance grades are the average number of students that are proficient on the NECAP reading and math tests. The same kind of data is used for high schools, with the addition of graduation rates.
Charter schools that have several levels—elementary, middle, and high school—are represented separately for each level, to allow a fairer comparison with other charters.
The data is current as of fall 2012 (which is why Achievement First is not included).
- Julia Steiny: Can Charter Schools Save Providence?
- NEW: Charter School Lotteries Take Place in March
- NEW: Supporters to Rally Against Charter School Closure
- Julia Steiny: International Charter School a Real Success
- NEW: Charter School Opponents Form Website
- Providence Goes to War over Charter Schools
- Julia Steiny: Top Charter School Responds to Needs of Business
- NEW: Governor Visiting Charter School In New Haven Today
- Public or Private: Charter Schools Can’t Have It Both Ways
- NEW: ACLU Opposed to Providence City Charter Revision
- NEW: Letter to ACLU Claims Pool Closing Violates City Charter
- RI Charter Schools See Huge Increase in Applications
- NEW: Brown University to Partner with Prominent Charter School Organization
- NEW: Mayors Urge Chafee to Support New Charter School
- The Highest + Lowest Performing Charter Schools in RI
- Charter School Critics Blast Graduation Claims
- NEW: Central Falls to Create Charter Review Commission
- NEW: Online Charter School Opening in RI
- Commissioner Gist Recommends Closure of Failing Providence Charter School
- NEW: Chafee Points to Opposition to New Charter School
- NEW: Providence Charter Review Commission Elects Chairperson
- Julia Steiny: A Charter School That Educates ALL Kids
- NEW: Charter Public School Consortium to be Held Tuesday
- NEW: Providence Charter Review Commission to Hold First Meeting