The Death of Benny’s — a Little Bit of Our Soul is Gone
Sunday, September 10, 2017
No one ever said, “I can’t believe they charged me so much for…” after shopping at Benny’s.
It is a special place where Tim Daly talked about why he loved going to Benny’s on The Tonight Show.
Yes, many parts of the country had the local chain that once dominated and then drifted away. But, Benny’s beat back the likes of Walmart and grew even bigger.
Did they keep up with retail trends -- probably not. Did they give great value and nice service -- almost always yes.
The family that founded and ran the company for nearly one-hundred years were good people. They employed hundreds and worked hard to be a good corporate citizen. The Bromberg’s are good people.
It is a sad moment. More than 700 are out of work.
It is the death of a nice, simple, and valued part of the fiber of Rhode Island. We will all be a little lost without the opportunity to shop at Benny’s.
Related Slideshow: Retailer Store Closings in U.S. Thru June 2, 2017
- All Benny’s Stores Closing, Amazon Factor Hits RI, 700 Out-of-Work UPDATED
- Is Wayland Square the ‘Canary in the Coal’ Mine for the Slow Death of Retail?
- NE Retailer Benny’s Thrives Despite No Online Sales
- Opponents Blast Online Retail Tax for Hurting RI Businesses
- RI’s Dead Retail Brands
- DeRoche: Patent Trolls Targeting RI Retailers & Main Street Businesses
- Over 200 RI Retailers Have Been Caught Selling Tobacco to Minors Since 2014
- One RI Company on Best Retail Brands in US List
- Retailers Lose Two of Their Biggest Days to Blizzard
- See Which RI Retailers Have Been Fined for Selling Cigarettes to Minors
- EDITORIAL: Embrace Fane’s $150M Investment in Providence. We Can Perfect the Design.
- EDITORIAL: The State of RI’s Technology Does Not Work. Let’s Fix It.
- EDITORIAL: Mr. Berens, If You Want Public Money, You Need to Provide Public Disclosure
- EDITORIAL: Do as I Say, Not as I Invest, Says Sheldon Whitehouse
- EDITORIAL: 10 Tweets from RI’s Congressional Delegation that Define U.S. Political Discourse
- EDITORIAL: If You Are Sick, Please Stay Home
- EDITORIAL: “Landing Norwegian Air is Rhode Island at Its Finest”
- EDITORIAL: The PawSox Stadium Solution
- EDITORIAL: Mr. Reed, We Knew John Chafee and Claiborne Pell and We Wish You Were Like Them
- EDITORIAL: Cicilline Lives in the Past While MA is Adding More Than 2,500 Amazon Jobs
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo’s Hedge Fund Problem
- EDITORIAL: PawSox Owners Ask is Failed Community Leadership and Ultimate Greed
- EDITORIAL: The House Passed the Stupidest and Most Insulting Bill - Maybe Ever
- EDITORIAL: Time For Providence Public Safety Director Pare to Go
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo’s College Plan, Fix the Foundation Before Building on the Addition
- EDITORIAL: 99%, “My Life Sucks,” Dogfighting, and Brady’s Brain