RI Unions Show Solidarity with Wisconsin Workers
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
The gathering, while ostensibly concerned only with the plight of Wisconsinites, was clearly underscored by a tinge of anxiety regarding the future of public sector unions in Rhode Island.
With more than one state representative publicly musing about the potential of applying a Wisconsin-esque plan to Rhode Island, the demonstration was not simply a display of unity, but one of defiance as well. Homemade signs and enthusiastic chants celebrated union strength while boldly denouncing “corporate greed,” and “political dictatorship.”
While Rhode Island and Wisconsin’s economic woes may overlap in disquieting ways, public workers should take heart at the fact their gubernatorial leadership does not. Governor Lincoln Chafee is widely considered to be a friend of unions, and he won the office largely thanks to the enthusiastic support of public unions. One speaker expressed his optimism in this regard, “After being thrashed, trashed, and bashed for every little thing…we now have a governor who understands you need to work with people.”
One man was escorted out of the event after repeatedly interrupting the speaker with personal attacks. As he was guided out, an elderly woman jeered, “You’ll be next!”
The rally was organized by the local chapter of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, as well as as other local union groups.
- Rhode Island NEA Condemns ‘Union Busting’ in Wisconsin
- Union Battle in Wisconsin: Is RI Next?
- BREAKING NEWS: Taveras Imposes Furloughs for Non-Union Staff
- Breaking News: Chafee wins teacher’s union endorsement
- Campaign Update – Chafee Gets Another Union Endorsement
- Caprio Snags Two Union Endorsements
- Carcieri Urges Voters Not to Support Union-Backed Candidates
- Chafee Says Union Endorsements Won’t Affect His Positions
- Democratic Chair and Prov Mayor are Snubbed by Teachers Union
- In 2010 RI Primaries, unions show Republicans how to win elections
- Lincoln Chafee, the ‘Union Candidate’?
- Poll: 53 Percent of Americans Favor Public Labor Unions
- Poll: 53% of Americans Favor Public Labor Unions
- Public Sector Unions – Part 1 of 2,348
- Public Sector Unions: Republicans Told You So
- RI Campaign 2010 – King Says Unions Ripping Off Taxpayers
- RI Campaign Update - Chafee Gets Two Big Union Endorsements
- State Teacher Union Backs ‘Race to the Top’
- Taveras to Unions: City in Dire Financial Straits
- Tea Party Gearing Up for Next Battle with Unions
- The Battle Over Education - Councilman and Union Chief
- The Scoop on RI Politics: Unions Have a ‘Stranglehold’ on General Assembly
- UPDATED: Police Union Condemns Esserman
- Union Pocket? Labor Pours $200K into Races
- Unions Contribute $600,000 to General Assembly Races
- Unions Furious with Roberts
- Unions Won Big in Primary
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.