Senator Reed Issues Statement on Federal Shutdown
Saturday, January 20, 2018
Regrettably, the federal government is closed. Like you, I am frustrated by this turn of events, and I am working hard to reach a principled solution to reopen the government.
For months, President Trump and Congressional Republicans have prioritized corporate tax cuts over passing a budget that helps working families. Congress repeatedly passed short-term spending bills over the last several months in order to provide additional time to negotiate a long-term, bipartisan budget agreement. However, no real talks ever occurred and the President has provided contradictory and changing objectives.
I am focused on passing a robust budget for our national security and our economic security, improving health care, helping families and businesses recover from last fall's devastating hurricanes, and putting real resources into the opioid crisis. Congress must also boost border security and find a way to protect the young people who were brought to this country as children and are now contributing to our communities by working, studying, or serving in our military. These are issues with broad support, and it makes no sense for Republican leaders to kick the can down the road again.
In spite of the current impasse, our military will not shut down, Social Security and Medicare benefits will be paid, and the Veterans Administration will operate. However, many other components of the federal government will be closed and could impact Rhode Islanders.
I believe that principled, bipartisan compromise is still possible.
I will continue working around the clock to help end this shutdown and pass a long-term solution that gives working families, businesses, and communities the certainty they deserve.
- NEW: Sen. Reed Announces Three FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers to Open
- If Sen. Reed Becomes Sec. of Defense or CIA Director - See the Domino Effect
- NEW: Senator Reed Announces Agreement Defense Authorization Bill
- NEW: Reed Receives Navy’s Highest Civilian Honor
- The Scoop - Reed Talks Syria - RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- NEW: Petreaus Resignation Could Trigger Reed to CIA, According to Report
- NEW: Sen. Reed Announces $22.8 Million for RI Winter Heat Aid
- NEW: Reed Restores Funding for Second Submarine in Senate Defense Bill
- Reed & Whitehouse Expect Law Enforcement to Investigate Voter Fraud
- NEW: Reed Announces $2.7 Million for RI Suicide Prevention and Mental Wellness
- NEW: Reed Extends Application Deadline for U.S. Service Academy Nominations
- The Scoop: RI GOP Blasts Raimondo/Reed Commercial, Lynch Called for Pierson Resignation, and More
- The Scoop: Cianci, Elorza Spar Over Public Safety, GOP Ups the Heat on Raimondo/Reed Ad, and More
- ABC6’s “In The Arena”- Jack Reed and Joe Paolino
- Guest MINDSETTER™Taub: Senators Reed & Whitehouse Stab Israel in the Back AGAIN
- AUDIO: U. S. Senator Reed on Hot Mic: “Trump is Crazy, I’m Worried”
- U.S. Senator Reed Defends His Open Mic Comments About President Trump
- Sen. Reed Visits General Dynamics Facility, Views Battlefield Communications Demonstration
- NEW: Sen. Reed Speaks with FDA on Behalf of Dying East Greenwich 20-Year-Old
- Little Rhodie Bully Breed Club Hosting Pit Bull Plunge on New Year’s Day
- Reed and Langevin Win
- Former J.P. Morgan Managing Director Reed Joins WhaleRock Point Partners
- Reed to Host College Financial Aid Workshop
- Could Jack Reed be the Next Democratic Leader in the U.S. Senate?
- UPDATED: Majority of Dem Senators Call for Franken to Resign, Reed and Whitehouse Respond