slides: See the Seven East Side Properties Brown Plans to Knock Down For Parking
Friday, January 15, 2016
SLIDES: See the properties slated for demolition BELOW
The agenda for Tuesday's City Plan Commission calls for a "presentation of amendment to Brown University's Institutional Master Plan. The amendment includes creation of new parking spaces and improvements to certain athletic facilities. A special use permit will be required for the
Browns' Master Plan
In an amendment to their Master Plan submitted on December 15, Brown outlined the plans -- and changes -- for the real estate.
In July 2014 Brown acquired seven contiguous properties, each of which was “improved” with a dilapidated two-unit residential structure. The properties’ previous owner held a longstanding vision of demolition of the structures with redevelopment of the site as a hotel. When those plans were not realized, Brown acquired the property with the intent of redeveloping the site for academic or residential use.
Given the poor condition of the existing structures, Brown is seeking to demolish them now in order to remove the unsightly structures and initially create a landscaped parking lot to serve the needs of the Thayer Street commercial district. The project is in keeping with one of the goals outlined in the Thayer Street Study -- to “establish intelligent and sustainable parking solutions.”
The proposed parking lot will be well-lit and its edges will be carefully landscaped to screen the vehicles from the street. It will be managed by a third-party as a commercial lot, not as a permit parking lot for Brown faculty, staff or students.
In the long-term, the University is interested in developing the site to meet emerging residential or academic needs.
The structures to be demolished are: 434 Brook Street, 436 Brook Street, 442 Brook Street, 444 Brook Street, 450 Brook Street, 167 Cushing Street, and 169 Cushing Street.
Video wall picture is of 167 Cushing Street
Related Slideshow: 7 College Hill Buildings Brown Plans to Knock Down
- NEW: Satellite Made By Brown U. Students to Launch on NASA Rocket
- Brown University to Host Senator Olympia Snowe
- Brown U. Honored for Employee Work-Life Policies
- Brown University Ranked a Top ROI College in 2014 by Forbes
- Brown University As Seen From A Drone
- NEW: Famed Author Jamaica Kincaid to Read at Brown University
- NEW: Brown University’s “BrainGate” Program Wins $1M Prize
- NEW: Brown University Corporation Elects 12 New Members
- Brown University Awards 2,419 Degrees at Commencement 2013
- NEW: Brown University Grants $50K to Providence Schools
- NEW: Brown University to Host Teach-In and Vigil on Syria
- Brown University Names New Dean of the College
- NEW: Brown University Investigated by Feds in Sexual Assault Case
- GoLocalTV: Brown University Alums in the 2016 Presidential Race
- Brown University Grad Rafael Maia Takes 5th Year at Pitt
- Brown University Math Institute Awarded Renewal of $17.5 Million Grant
- Brown University Rescinds Honorary Degree Bestowed to Bill Cosby ‘85
- Brown U. Set to Host Ivy League Lacrosse Tournament
- Brown University Graduate Student Dies in Fall from Science Library Building
- NEW: Brown University Names Cliatt New VP for Communications
- 30 Brown University Alumni Leading the United States in Business
- Aronson, Founding Dean Of Medicine at Brown University, Dies at 92
- Brown University Admits 2,580 to Class of 2019
- Brown University & RI Hospital Earn Grants to Teach Addiction Screening