RISD Receives National Recognition for Recycling
Thursday, May 05, 2011
RISD placed second for target materials (bottles and cans) among 76 New England schools competing in RecycleMania 2011 — a national competition that recovered 91 million pounds of recyclables and organics over eight weeks.
RecycleMania challenges campuses across the U.S. to see who can collect the largest amount of recyclables and the least amount of trash per person, the largest total amount of recyclables, and highest recycling rate.
New England schools account for 10 percent of recycling
Launched in 2001 as a friendly challenge between Ohio University and Miami University to encourage recycling on campus, the competition has expanded to include 630 schools nationwide. With 8.9 million pounds of recyclables recovered, New England institutions accounted for almost one-tenth of the 2011 national total.
"EPA is proud that New England students have taken on the challenges of this friendly competition. Over a few months we've seen significant results in recycling, which equals a cleaner environment and a wiser use of precious resources," said Curt Spalding, regional administration of the Environmental Protection Agency's New England regional office.
Four other schools recognized
Other New England schools receiving nation awards were:
■ Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Neeham, MA
First in targeted materials (bottles and cans)
Third in targeted materials (paper)
■ Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
First in targeted materials (organics)
■United States Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT
Third in "Per Capita Classic"
Second in targeted materials (organics)
■ Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Third in "Gorilla Prize"
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- BETTER LIVING: Easy Tech Gear Recycling
- BETTER LIVING: Recycling Dos and Don’ts
- NEW: Controversial EP Debris Recycling Plant Expansion Bill Faces Vote
- Cool Aid: RISD Alums Raise Money for Students
- Insider’s Guide to the RISD Alumni Art Sale
- Lynda Benglis Opens at RISD Museum
- RISD Announces Major ‘Cocktail Culture’ Exhibit
- RISD Faculty Planning No Confidence Vote Against President
- RISD Fashion Gala to Feature Designer Nicole Miller
- RISD Grads Make Art From Discarded Lottery Tickets
- RISD Museum Reveals Renovated Ancient and Medieval Galleries
- RISD Named Top College to Visit
- RISD Provost Resigns
- RISD Student Wins Boston’s Project Beethoven Fashion Competition
- RISD Students Hold Rally for Community Service Office
- RISD Students Save Vital Link with Community
- RISD Students Speak Out on No Confidence Vote
- RISD Students Will Be Featured at NY Fashion Week
- RISD furthers Green Movement, Partners with Zipcar
- RISD to Host Queer Series January 29-30
- RISD’s John Maeda in One-Man Show in London
- RISD’s Make It Better Symposium Brings Art & Design to Healthcare
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.