RI’s Top High Schools 2011: How We Got the Rankings
Monday, May 09, 2011
Carefully. We gathered hundreds of pieces of data related to school quality: reading, math, and writing test scores (both the New England Common Assessment Program, or NECAP, scores, as well as SATs), student-teacher ratios, spending per pupil, and graduation rates for 51 public, charter, and technical schools in the state. We used public sources and harvested the most current data for each category.
What followed was precise statistical analysis, guided by a methodology used in similar rankings created elsewhere in New England. After collecting the relevant data, we calculated the average values in each of the categories and the degree to which each school either exceeded or failed to reach those averages.
Those deviations from the average were standardized so that different categories could be compared meaningfully, and then we used a weighting formula to give certain categories more importance than others. We wanted, for example, a school’s student-teacher ratio to matter more in our ranking than its Math SAT scores – though test scores all together account for 60% of the weighting.
The weightings for calculations were as follows:
Student/Teacher Ratio 15%
Per Pupil Spending 15%
Graduation Rate 10%
Each school’s weighted numbers were added into a single evaluative number, which, when ordered from highest to lowest, gave us our ranking.
For a downloadable, printable version of RI's Top High Schools 2011, with the full chart of rankings and summaries of key articles, click here.
- RI’s #4 School: South Kingstown High School
- College Admissions: Why School Rankings May Help You Get Into a Better College
- The Top High Schools in Rhode Island 2011
- RI’s #5 School: Barrington High School
- RI’s Top High Schools 2011: Who Moved Up, Who Moved Down?
- RI’s #6 School: Middletown High School
- RI’s Top High Schools 2011: The Link Between Schools and Home Values
- RI’s #7 School: Lincoln Senior High School
- CHART: RI’s High Schools, from #1 to #51
- RI’s #8 School: Toll Gate High School
- RI’s #1 School: East Greenwich High School
- RI’s #9 School: Westerly High School
- RI’s #2 School: Narragansett High School
- RI’s #10 School: Classical High School
- RI’s #3 School: Exeter-West Greenwich Senior High School
- Last Ranked: What Next for Mount Pleasant High School?